• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay/claim expenses or let customer pay direct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay/claim expenses or let customer pay direct

You are all a set of cockwombles.

That's all.

Thank you
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17 March 2016, 12:49.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I have to do some travelling in my current contract which is is going to involve some long haul flying and hotels so is not going to be cheap. I have been given the option to claim the reciepts from my employer or me pay and invoice them back via my Ltd Company. they are very flexible in this matter.

Thoughts I have had are.

Vat - No difference as I am on flat rate.

Tax - This wouldn't affect my profit due to me paying it out and claiming it back so no real effect. Is this right?

Interest in bank - Pretty irrelevant.

After that am a bit stuck. I can't think of any other tax/finacial incentive between the two but would have thought there was something even if its fairly minor.

Any tips appreciated.
    Firstly, stop thinking like a permie. The client is not your employer, but your client. Personally, I would put it through your Ltd company and charge the client for the cost (If they have agreed to it), or let the client book the flights directly for you and let them sort it out, assuming you cannot afford to pay for it yourself.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I think I have this right:

Add 'incurred costs' to your invoice. That way VAT gets added to non-VAT items and YourCo can reclaim and keep that VAT.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I have to do some travelling in my current contract which is is going to involve some long haul flying and hotels so is not going to be cheap. I have been given the option to claim the reciepts from my employer or me pay and invoice them back via my Ltd Company. they are very flexible in this matter.

Thoughts I have had are.

Vat - No difference as I am on flat rate.

Tax - This wouldn't affect my profit due to me paying it out and claiming it back so no real effect. Is this right?

Interest in bank - Pretty irrelevant.

After that am a bit stuck. I can't think of any other tax/finacial incentive between the two but would have thought there was something even if its fairly minor.

Any tips appreciated.
        I have found for flights and hotels - if my client pays directly it saves a lot of hassle, plus they get to be involved in the choice of flight / price etc rather than just getting a bill and saying "how much"?

Everything else its easier to invoice through your own company. I know some large companies used to add an admin handling charge as well, not sure if they still get away with doing that still!
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

If you are providing services to a client through a LTD company the appropriate way is for your company to invoice for "disbursements". When HMRC consider IR35, one of the points they look at is how are expenses claimed paid for, if they are the same as an employee it could be a pointer towards you being within IR35.

Comment

As I keep saying, not everything is about IR35, but f you can afford it, charge it to YourCo and add it to the invoice (with VAT) since that keeps everything under your control and demonstrates your independence from the client.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              As I keep saying, not everything is about IR35, but f you can afford it, charge it to YourCo and add it to the invoice (with VAT) since that keeps everything under your control and demonstrates your independence from the client.
              Agreed!

Comment

Have you asked your accountant?

Comment

LOL. Great find.

I'll be saving this one for when I need it:
                  my employer

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    LOL. Great find.

I'll be saving this one for when I need it:
                    I was expecting a ban for bumping a thread in professional. But it would be worth it.....

Comment

Working...
                    X