• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shuting Businesses To Claim Entrepreneur Tax Relief - Then reopen And Then

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuting Businesses To Claim Entrepreneur Tax Relief - Then reopen And Then

Is there anything stopping you doing this?

Amass a 100k warchest - Shut business , claim tax relief and then open up a new one.

Is this legal?

Originally posted by SteveMcadden1 View Post

Amass a 100k warchest - Shut business , claim tax relief and then open up a new one.

Is this legal?
    You need HMRC approval before doing so. IANAA but I believe that if they suspect you are taking the p1ss then they will refuse permission.

Why not pay most out in divs then take a bit as capital gains? Its why I always do : never been pulled up yet.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Why not pay most out in divs then take a bit as capital gains? Its why I always do : never been pulled up yet.

BP
      Do you mean by closing the Co down, or is there another way to take money out as capital gains whilst keeping the Co running?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMcadden1 View Post

Is this legal?
        Nope, it isn't. (well, technically its in breach of the HMRC tax exemption rules, but on this one rare occasion, HMRC rules and legal amount to the same thing)

To get the tax relief, HMRC require you to write a letter confirming, amongst other things, that the business has ceased trading and that there is no prospect of the director(s) continuing in that trade. If you write this letter, but then set up a new company and continue trading, then they can 'ave you.
        Plan A is located just about here.
        If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Is this the same thing as shutting down a company and taking out the proceeds and thus attracting only 10% in CGT?

So for 100k, you pay 20% in corporation tax, shutdown the co. and pay a further 10% equating to about 72% in your pocket of the contract value and thats before any expenses.

I heard that there has not been any successful test cases against doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey View Post
            Nope, it isn't. (well, technically its in breach of the HMRC tax exemption rules, but on this one rare occasion, HMRC rules and legal amount to the same thing)

To get the tax relief, HMRC require you to write a letter confirming, amongst other things, that the business has ceased trading and that there is no prospect of the director(s) continuing in that trade. If you write this letter, but then set up a new company and continue trading, then they can 'ave you.
            I don't remember writing a letter saying that...
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I was advised by my accountant not to do the "phoenix business" type deal when I proposed closing down, going on a 3 or 4 month holiday and starting up again with a new Ltd Co on my return.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey View Post
                Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                I don't remember writing a letter saying that...
                Neither do I.

I had to write a letter saying that the company would not trade and pay all its taxes and creditors.

However, I have not been through the application for Entrepreneurs' Relief on the SA return yet so I am not at the end of the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  Neither do I.

I had to write a letter saying that the company would not trade and pay all its taxes and creditors.

However, I have not been through the application for Entrepreneurs' Relief on the SA return yet so I am not at the end of the process.
                  I filled in the forms, got the relief, moved on. Now contracting under another business as I wanted to rebrand and relieve myself of the existing partner relationships etc etc etc.

No comeback, no problem. And that's a few years back.

That is my experience, fwiw!!
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by chavvy View Post
                    ......attracting only 10% in CGT?......
                    I think the CGT regime changed in April 2007. There is no longer taper relief and a flat rate of CGT which is 18% (still better than income tax).

Comment

Working...
                    X