• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't get a job, I'm gonna sue...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get a job, I'm gonna sue...

Ex-Students...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8180806.stm

This whole "blame and claim" culture is getting ridiculous! We've even got them down here!

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      The ambulance chasers will love him...
      ... stealing fossils from private land.

Rough justice, I reckon.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Is an "information technology degree" about computers but for wimmin?

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
          I have sat and thought hard about this response:

<reconsidered and removed>

That kind of attitude really does not help with the generally false image being portrayed by the media about IT. Many areas of the industry are non-discriminatory and many of us professionals do not appreciate such 'humour' when done by those within it. It puts us in a bad and unfair light.
          Last edited by RichardCranium; 3 August 2009, 11:45. Reason: Thought even harder
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

It's just as well that all of the youngsters failed by Labour in their 'non-selection' educational experiment can't sue HMG. That would surely bankrupt us !!

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
              Yes <giggle>

Tw@t
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                I have sat and thought hard about this response:

<reconsidered and removed>

That kind of attitude really does not help with the generally false image being portrayed by the media about IT. Many areas of the industry are non-discriminatory and many of us professionals do not appreciate such 'humour' when done by those within it. It puts us in a bad and unfair light.
                In your current position, which I gather bears some resemblance to mine, I should imagine that you are thinking about leaving contracting, about leaving IT, and about leaving this board. For myself, I have decided that:
                -- IT still offers a better (near) future for me than anything else I could now do. I dream of Plan Bs but I don't realistically have one. I could have had, when I was young, but not now.
                -- I still prefer to contract rather than be salaried, but I'm not set on it, it's just a practical matter. It's not clear that it offers much more money, and it's farcical to pretend that it offers more freedom: when jumped-up little ****** with no conception of what IT is are demanding to see your credit card statements and enough proof of ID to let them impersonate you all around the world, for 1 chance in 100 of a skilled technical job paying about the same as a McDonalds graduate trainee, honestly you'd be better under a manager who at least might understand what you do for a living.
                -- As for this board, it's sometimes entertaining and occasionally useful. But it is visibly populated by a lot of people that I feel little sympathy with, and certainly wouldn't want to be recognised as "one of" by people outside the circle. I believe that only a small part of IT is here. The same happens to all boards, they mature (as far as they ever do) quite early and from then on have such an embedded personality that they never change. The nearest equivalent that I can find in the US, openitforum.yuku.com, did a poll recently and found a median age in the range 55-59 (or was it 56-60? I can't seem to remember as good as I used to). Now, I'm in that range, but I don't want to spend all my life with a tight cohort: that board clearly is not getting any new members. I often wonder whether this one does, sockpuppets aside.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                  I wonder if some UK graduates will say that because they were "forced" to go to university because of the governments 50% target, that the government should write off their debt and compensate them for lost earnings while they were at university.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                    I wonder if some UK graduates will say that because they were "forced" to go to university because of the governments 50% target, that the government should write off their debt and compensate them for lost earnings while they were at university.
                    Except there will be no lost earnings because there's no job for them anyway, degree or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X