• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

28,000 ? brought in via ICTs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28,000 ? brought in via ICTs

Today Computer Weekly picks up the Intra Company Transfer Visa story again, illustrated with figures released from the PCG suggesting c28,000 people have been brought into the country using ICTs recently.

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...worker-law.htm

That seems like a lot....

The petition remains here (now with >120 signatures) if anyone else feels like signing up.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Abolish-ICTs/

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's far too late.

The PCG should have been fighting harder 7 or 8 years ago when we all got stuffed last time. Instead they were wined and dined and they sucked up to the government.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's far too late.

The PCG should have been fighting harder 7 or 8 years ago when we all got stuffed last time. Instead they were wined and dined and they sucked up to the government.
      You don't half talk some crap sometimes, don't you? For example, has it occurred to you to wonder why we now have a point-based system instead of the old free-for-all? Or why IT is not on the list of skills shortages for which Tier2 visas can be sought?

Tell you what, go look up the membership of the Migration Advisory Committee that is trying to resolve this issue.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The way to sell this to the government is to say, okay Big Co. you can have your ICT visas for your "Indian staff", however there is a levy of £10K pa per visa per year. This is to encourage Big Co. to use European workers in Europe.

This would make using the ICT less cost effective to Big Co, and raise billions in revenue for the government.

A win-win situation.

I think the PCG would do better trying to push for a high cost penalty rather than trying to ban the process.

Comment

The process is both vaid and entriley justifiable. Where it's going wrong is BigCos onshoring any old bog-standard employee of a subisdiary to do coding or micky DBA support work. ICTs are needed to allow the transfer highly-skilled individuals to perform specific and necessary tasks that require detailed company knowlege. Of the 28k onshoreds to date, I would guess about three meet that criterion.

Also, no need for financial penalties, since the onshored worker has to be paid at local rates for the role. Most of the onshored are paid back home and get a living allowance over here, so they not only blow the wages rule, they pay no tax here either.

The rules are right, the abuses aren't. That's what we're fighting against.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's far too late..
            WHS. IT should also not be taught in the UK any more.

Comment

Question

" transfer highly-skilled individuals to perform specific and necessary tasks that require detailed company knowlege"

What are the criteria to meet this. Are there any criteria?

I am interested to know how you would quantify something like detialed company knowledge unless each case is dealt with on its own merits.

I have no axe to grind I am just curious as to how this is applied.
              There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
                " transfer highly-skilled individuals to perform specific and necessary tasks that require detailed company knowlege"

What are the criteria to meet this. Are there any criteria?

I am interested to know how you would quantify something like detialed company knowledge unless each case is dealt with on its own merits.

I have no axe to grind I am just curious as to how this is applied.
                I believe you have to be highly-skilled in working for plenty cheapness. This would appear to be the only criteria that matters.
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  I believe you have to be highly-skilled in working for plenty cheapness. This would appear to be the only criteria that matters.
                  Quite!

The idea, in its narrowest sense, is to allow a multinational to transfer say a skilled engineer that understands their widget-making machine from his normal place of work into the UK to install a machine over here and train people how to use it, where such work will take more than a few days. Obvioulsy there's a bit of a grey area, but the essentials are "same company", "highly skilled" and "short term" (if you want them here permanently they'll need an HSMP visa). I would venture none of the 20-odd thousand coders currently screwing up BT's output fit that category in the slightest.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Simples

Minimum wage = 2 * average + all tax paid in UK.

But it is down from 50,000 and the PCG are partially to thank for that maybe because of the fabled Tea & Biscuit sessions.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X