• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I feel so proud

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel so proud

.. that we invented the Haggis. What would the Scots have done without the help of the English ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8180791.stm

The Romans invented haggis (and bagpipes, and tartan )

(They didn't invent whisky though)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

The Welsh invented whiskey
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

We invented the TV, telephone, pneumatic tyre and discovered penicillin.

So haggis isn't ours? No biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

So thats a couple more to add to the list then.

And the Italians invented Whiskey IIRC ( Or at least it arrvived from the med in the 6th centuy and the Romans were the only ones with any clout around there at the time.)
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
            We invented the TV, telephone, pneumatic tyre and discovered penicillin.

So haggis isn't ours? No biggie.
            No, No, and No, I'm afraid.

Baird built on earlier inventions of the same type, and his method bore no resemblance to Television as we know it today. What he did do was get it to the point of being able to transmit a moving picture. He did invented the first Video Recorder. Current televison technology is based on an American invention.

Bell got the first patent that actually stuck, but telephony was invented by the Italians, or possibly the Germans, or the French.

Penicillin's anti-bacterial properties were first identified by an Irishman, later by a French man and then by a Costa Rican.

PS. I was born in Dunfermiline, so I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the cause
            Last edited by DaveB; 3 August 2009, 12:26.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I need to get this straight.... did Gordon Brown save the free world or not?

I’m starting to think it was just another Scottish lie.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                The Welsh invented whiskey
                It's amazing what one can learn when searching for something else.

According to Wikipedia, crude forms of distillation have been going on for over 2000 years. But the first guy to master it effectively and produce drinkable results was a famous chemist called Abu Musa Jābir.

Apparently the word "jibberish" comes from his name - He wrote his chemical works in some kind of symbolic code, so that only initiates could understand it, and to other readers it appeared, well, like jibberish.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I'm sure in most cultures the process of boiling offal in the animals gut was used. The word haggis is Scottish and the world has excepted the Scottish name. Hardly feckin news.

It's just the usual pish that the BBC churns out to keep idiots like Cyberman happy.

Comment

The English also claim to invent chicken tikka massala!

Comment

Working...
                    X