• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All your data belongs to us

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All your data belongs to us

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8175139.stm

soon for sale in Moss Side..

"Home Secretary Alan Johnson has unveiled the final design of the controversial national identity card.

The card will be offered to members of the public in the Greater Manchester area from the end of this year.

Ministers plan to launch the £30 biometric ID card nationwide in 2011 or 2012 - but it will not be compulsory."

compulsory.. yet.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8175139.stm

soon for sale in Moss Side..

"Home Secretary Alan Johnson has unveiled the final design of the controversial national identity card.

The card will be offered to members of the public in the Greater Manchester area from the end of this year.

Ministers plan to launch the £30 biometric ID card nationwide in 2011 or 2012 - but it will not be compulsory."

compulsory.. yet.
    They are nationalising your identity and then offering to license it back to you. No, it won't be compulsory at first as long as you don't mind doing without it.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

compulsory.. yet.
      I assume the "long term unemployed" won't actually have to pay for the cards.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Let this delusional and authoritarian government that finds ever more insane ways to spend our money and infringe our liberties bend over for a thoroughly deserved

Comment

Long term unemployed? - Phah, that's me then....

Comment

Hmm, I wonder how many times they are going to "launch" ID cards?

They have had to stop quoting opinion polls though since the recent YouGov / Sunday People poll of 1765 adults in the UK has found that
            79% of respondents think ID cards are a waste of money.

Comment

There did used to be a pro-id cards poster on here but we haven't heard much from him lately.

NB This is not a critcism, I welcome being challenged (logically) on my opposition to ID cards anytime.

Comment

It is truly uncanny, the 1984 book I had at school had an image of a face on the front that looks exactly like Johnson on his card

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  There did used to be a pro-id cards poster on here but we haven't heard much from him lately.

NB This is not a critcism, I welcome being challenged (logically) on my opposition to ID cards anytime.
                  I am generally pro cards, they just could have been done properly.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I am generally pro cards, they just could have been done properly.
                    How?

Comment

Working...
                    X