• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The gold is sold, the silver's next...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The gold is sold, the silver's next...

Selling the family's jewels.

Selling off the silver to pay for the banks

Among the public bodies the government now considers ripe for possible privatisation are the Royal Mint, the Land Registry, the Met Office, Ordnance Survey, the Defence Vetting Agency (which security vets potential MoD staff) and the UK Hydrographic Office.

These are the first stage of a massive sell off of publicly owned assets whose sole rationale is to claw back money lost to bailing out failing banks.
    In order of stupidity, which should Fatso Gordo, the one-eyed Scottish Idiot, sell off first to some poxy overseas company?

- Royal Mint
    - Land Registry
    - Defence Vetting Agency
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

In order of stupidity, which should Fatso Gordo, the one-eyed Scottish Idiot, sell off first to some poxy overseas company?

- Royal Mint
    - Land Registry
    - Defence Vetting Agency
    DVA
    Royal Mint
    Land Registry
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

- Royal Mint
      - Land Registry
      - Defence Vetting Agency
      Looks like Labour's Thatcherist conversion is complete. Damn. I'll have to vote Lib Dem.

Comment

Ordnance Survey
        Land Registry
        Hydrographic Office

The DVA and Met Office do too much "important" work imo....

Comment

Originally posted by moony1234 View Post
          Ordnance Survey
          Land Registry
          Hydrographic Office

I thought the Ordnance Survey had already been privatised, many years ago.

Next thing you know they'll be selling off HMR&C to some bunch of sharks who will take a cut of all revenue raised (the way revenue collection was farmed out to "publicans" in Biblical times).
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Couldn't we just sell off the government.

Comment

Originally posted by moony1234 View Post
              Ordnance Survey
              Land Registry
              Hydrographic Office

I could stick my wet finger in the air and come up with a more accurate guess... sorry prediction than the met office.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Why not sell the Royal Family?

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme View Post
                  Couldn't we just sell off the government.
                  Sadly, in order to sell something you need a buyer - and therein lies the problem....
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Next thing you know they'll be selling off HMR&C to some bunch of sharks who will take a cut of all revenue raised
                    I thought we had? To EDS?
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X