• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan A

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan A

We're in the wrong business

Bonuses for doctors: How GPs are earning up to £380,000 a year... and £200 an hour...........

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0NCIoiIGA
    Bored.

Were the daily wail right (and somehow I doubt they are) I would not begrudge doctors the money. How a banker or MP can earn more than them is astonishing.

Most people would become a doctor if intelligent enough.

Even if I was intelligent enough I would hate the pressure that 1 mistake could cost a life.

Comment

My problem with this is it only applies to GP's and not other medical professions.

How a GP sitting in an office looking at people with sore throats justifies this sort of money is beyond me when medical staff at hospitals are paid a fraction of this amount.

Comment

Having had the chance to compare GPs in the UK, with those in Switzerland, I can tell you the that GPs in the UK are better. They've more experience, because they have a larger "client base" and see a more diverse range of conditions. ( It's for this reason that British trained nurses are in demand overseas - not just because of the uniform ).
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I think I heard on the radio that some of the increase is due to them being paid for weekend work, where previously they weren't.

I may be wrong but aren't most GPs also self-employed and have to pay for the running of their surgeries?

Comment

WbrillopadS

If doctors can earn that much then good on 'em.

The balance of earnings in this country is all wrong. It makes no sense that useless corporate middle management tw@ts can earn more than medical professionals, teaching staff, technical experts, scientists and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
              We're in the wrong business

You're too stupid to be a doctor anyway.

HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Not this again, we did it to death only recently. Some news story sensationalises the fact a few docs earn a lot, which outrages those with 'real' jobs like bin-men and truck drivers.

Even bitching about Barclay's profits and bonuses would be less dull.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  WbrillopadS

If doctors can earn that much then good on 'em.

The balance of earnings in this country is all wrong. It makes no sense that useless corporate middle management tw@ts can earn more than medical professionals, teaching staff, technical experts, scientists and the like.
                  As Dale Carnegie say's, research has proven that any job is really 85% people skills and 15% technical knowledge.

Charles Schwab was earning over a million dollars a year back in the days when 50 dollars a week was thought high pay. He admitted many of his colleagues had better technical knowledge of the steel manufacture process than him, but he knew how to praise, encourage and motivate people.

Being extremely technical and having worked for many years with Microsoft, I am now having this people skills revelation.
                  You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Were the daily wail right (and somehow I doubt they are) I would not begrudge doctors the money. How a banker or MP can earn more than them is astonishing.

Most people would become a doctor if intelligent enough.

Even if I was intelligent enough I would hate the pressure that 1 mistake could cost a life.
                    It's not a case of "intelligent enough", it's all the rest. the intelligence required to be a GP is not that high, I'd guess not as high as e.g. the average maths teacher's. I do remember my uni maths dept having a course of maths for medics, which was not exactly highly regarded by the real maths students!

I am not running down doctors, rather mentioning the idea that it's not intelligence that does it. Indeed, intelligence is not much valued in money terms. There may be nothing wrong with this. What is worse is that intelligence is not much valued at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X