• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ITV sells Friends Reunited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITV sells Friends Reunited

They paid £175 Million for it.

They sell it for £25 Million.

I am surprised it is worth that much.

What value is there really in people with a loose sense of kinship talking to each other over the internet?

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post

What value is there really in people with a loose sense of kinship talking to each other over the internet?
    2 tweets caught my attention this morning:

Oops. ITV Sells #friendsreunited for 25M after buying for 175M #fail
    Good point! RT Someone actually *buys* #friendsreunited for £25M #fail++

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post

WHS - My impression is it's been completely superceded by Facebook and similar sites.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

And like similar sites, is destined to become another over-AJAXed failure unless the developers sort themselves out. Useless shower of numpties.

Comment

My last contract was for a company that ran a professional social networking site. The vast majority of their revenue came from research data (they'd offer prizes for various completed questionnaires) they were able to sell on to other companies. I do wonder how Friends RE-United can generate any substantial income. However the first priority for the new owners will surely be to stop the churn rate and make it a site people want to log onto regularly. It'll be very interesting to see if the company can be turned around. If anything I think ITV have done well to claw back 25 million, instead of having to make a total write-off.
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I think to a degree it has also reached a kind of saturation point, in that almost everyone who is interested in looking up their school mates has already done so and re-established personal contact with those they wished to.

I guess the only way forward for Friends Reunited, if they haven't already done it, is to add new milieus (milieux?) in addition to schools, such as "convicts reunited" for ex-cons, services reunited for ex-squaddies and tars, jobs reunited by company for ex-workmates etc, etc.

Comment

perhaps contractors reunited?

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
                perhaps contractors reunited?
                Yes, except that I wouldn't want to be reunited with some contractors I've worked with over the years.

Comment

I believe that they bought it for Genes Reunited, a subscription based service that is actually making money and fits nicely with their product portfolio....

But you're right, Friends Re-united is worth didly squat...

(Especially as the lass I used to fancy at school won't return my emails )
                  'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                    I believe that they bought it for Genes Reunited, a subscription based service that is actually making money and fits nicely with their product portfolio....
                    Is that where you answer your front door, to be greeted by a young stranger saying "Hi Dad!".

Comment

Working...
                    X