• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been cheated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been cheated

I rented a hire car abroad. Booked it online.

Paid by credit card.

When I got the bill, the amount was more than double what I'd agreed and what was on the screen at the time.

Goes back to the old email with a link to the rental voucher. Low and behold all the figures have been changed.

Cnuts!!!!!

Overseas car hire does seem like writing a blank check.

Especially when they try to add all the extra insurances and the fiddle on the petrol tank, e.g. return full or empty?

Double might be normal these days? - they have been taking lessons from Gordon Brown in stealth charges?

Often you are presented with a reck, broken wing mirror, a few gouges in the body work and they ask you to sign it off as perfect.

If you have a good case then complain to your credit card company.
    Last edited by ancient; 8 November 2005, 19:31.

Comment

I have written a letter.

It's a good scam no?

You pay online, the screen shows X.

Credit card shows twice that amount.

You go back to the email confirming you rental and the basic cost of the rental is doubled.

They'll swear this is what you agreed to when you clicked submit.

What a theiving bunch of *******.

£300

Comment

Did not you get email confirming your purchase or took screenshot of the final price?

Comment

The great scam is the email contains a link to your rental voucher.

I printed off the voucher and presented to the man at the airport who then gave me the car.

when I get back, the link takes me to the page but the amounts are much higher.

Won't fall for that one again.

http://www.economycarrentals.com

Comment

Its all matter of terminology - DodgyAgent would probably call them shrewd businessmen opressed by the regulation that prevents them from running their business.

Comment

DP... do the decent thing, old chap, and turn permie....

Mmmm.... Ripping Yarns... passing the port the wrong way... 'well be in to spank you later, you firm buttocked young beauties'... revolver on the table...

Vieze Oude Man

Comment

amateurs eh,

when dealing with Johnny Foreigner pay cash

Milan.

Comment

If you have evidence of the original quoted cost ie screen shot then ring your CC company and tell them to withdraw payment.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                    If you have evidence of the original quoted cost ie screen shot then ring your CC company and tell them to withdraw payment.
                    Even if you haven't, just tell your card issuer you have been over charged. They will believe you (as long as you don't dispute > 'x' transactions a year: the value of 'x' is a closely guarded secret) and just ask you to sign a mandate confirming the facts as you know them. Thereupon they will return the disputed money to you, seize it directly from the hire company's account and fine the hire company a claw back fee.

I've done it myself. Credit card issuers always side with the punter.

Comment

Working...
                    X