• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Road Trip USA after being benched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Trip USA after being benched

I've been benched after a 8 year stretch. Client didn't renew my contract, I'm an Oracle Developer come DBA type geezer.

My war chest is healthy I don't have a mortgage and I'm not far off being 40. I have a teacher as a gf but I think that isn't going to last, she is in early 30s and wants kiddies, I don't.

So

I fancy hiring one of those **** off RVs and just motoring around the States for six months although I think you can only stay for 90 days whatever. Come back in March 2010 and hope the market has picked up a bit.

Am I mad or just deserving of a break from the machine?
    Last edited by bodnobal; 7 August 2009, 02:12.

Configure your finances so you have no nett loss and go for it.

In 2003 I spent 12 months backpacking around South America/Cuba, absolutely changed my outlook on everything. World was still there when I got back. In Apr 08 I happily benched myself to look after kids I didn't plan or think I wanted - wouldn't change a thing now. Well, apart from getting a job and a life and having a coversation with somebody older than 2.. (HALP!!)

Carefull what you do with the GF, the grass is always greener until you decide you want some company again - in my experience good ones are not found, they have to find you.
    Last edited by craig_m67; 7 August 2009, 05:54. Reason: rambling

Comment

I don't think that you are mad at all. If I were in your shoes I would go for it.

If it is something that you want to do then when are you going to get a better opportunity to do it?

Comment

Do it while you have the opportunity or regret it for the rest of your life. Life's for living.

Edit: when her hormone clocks kicks in, you'll comply or be replaced.
        Last edited by RichardCranium; 7 August 2009, 05:52. Reason: The baby thing
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by craig_m67 View Post
          Carefull what you do with the GF, the grass is always greener until you decide you want some company again - in my experience good ones are not found, they have to find you.
          So true!

Comment

It will be the best thing you ever did. I went travelling and working around the world for 3 years. You get a bit nervous that you don't have a job but after a few weeks the feeling of complete relaxation is one that I have never had at any time of my life.

When you come back you will have a more positive outlook on life, realise the things you miss and like about the UK and be able to put things into perspective a lot more, reducing stress levels assoicated with work

DO IT (In my Starsky and Hutch voice)

Comment

do it, you wont regret it

back in 2001 during the dotcom bubble bursting I took 1.5years out and went round the pacific rim, it was the best thing I've done and I dont regret it at all.

Just make sure you have a decent amount to come back to, no debts while travelling and some extra to get some training in on return

enjoy yourself

oh and take 2 credit cards for when the bank cancel 1 and want to replace it
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I looked into touring the states by RV and you will be much better off buying one and selling it when done than hiring one for 3-4 months.

Also remember that a even a medium sized one might do less than than 10mpg.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Sure lockhouse can correct me, but I got some close friends who did the same roadtrip in the US - and couldn't handle hanging out with OAP's any more after 2 months solid of it ...

Saying that I love road trips in the US. Some amazing places, and wee gems that completely take you by surprise, the beauty of being a big country built on waves of immigration ...

And any time out is good time out IMO.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Do it!!! You can always add an extra 8 months onto your 8 years job you just finished, 8 or 8.5 years is really the same.

Look if your gf wants sprogs and you dont then it's never gonna work...! She will just get more cranky as she hits the mid 30's and older.

Having worked in the USA for a total of 4 years and having travelled a lot of it I wil say IMHO that it was ok but not great. On the other hand I have been to South and Central America and believe me that it is much more exciting and if I could get a gig there I would be over like a shot. The USA is bland with the same ole tulipe wherever you go -> this mart, that mart and another mart... yawn. The best places in the USA are Florida (cause of the climate and the ocean) with a lovely drive along the Keys to Key West. CA is also a great place. Oregon, Arizona and the East cost (NY, New England etc), the rest is tulipe.

I' gonna say it again, South America beats the USA hands down, yeah little bit more risky but with street smarts you are fine. Great scenery, great music, great food, great culture and HOT HOT HOT burds who are more than friendly

The USA just doesn't come close!

Comment

Working...
                    X