• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Volunteering in orphanage….

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I am doing the permie thing, I have holidays which I am struggling to use.

Live alone, wanting to take time out of the rat race, but don’t want to take time for the sake of it.

I am seriously considering volunteering for a month somewhere. Mainly down to already volunteering as a childrens counsellor and wanting to learn more about working with young people.

Considering a Romanian orphanage, but the so called charities are really milking it – initial websearch suggests that they are after £1200 to £1500 for a month stint, plus the flights etc……

Has anyone done a month volunteer break? Need some option inspiration…….

Cost is an issue being permie…….

IF (in caps on purpose) IF you are serious, try the local hospital and hospices.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Wilmslow
      Contractor Among Contractors

Oi, admin - sort it out...

Comment

Try an Israeli kibbutz. You'll learn valuable hen husbandry skills into the bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          Now I am doing the permie thing, I have holidays which I am struggling to use.

Live alone, wanting to take time out of the rat race, but don’t want to take time for the sake of it.

I am seriously considering volunteering for a month somewhere. Mainly down to already volunteering as a childrens counsellor and wanting to learn more about working with young people.

Considering a Romanian orphanage, but the so called charities are really milking it – initial websearch suggests that they are after £1200 to £1500 for a month stint, plus the flights etc…….
          Hang on, are you saying they expect *you* to pay *them*? To work in some Romanian orphanage?!

I never had you down as a kiddie fiddler, but if that's the case no other explanation makes sense.

Why not leave Romanian orphans to be looked after by Romanians?
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Hang on, are you saying they expect *you* to pay *them*? To work in some Romanian orphanage?!
            ?
            That's exactly how it works. You pay the money to cover your board and lodgings.

1500 for a month is a bit steep though

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              initial websearch suggests that they are after £1200 to £1500 for a month stint, plus the flights etc
              That's probably because they have a surplus of local, Romanian-speaking, available people to volunteer but a lack of money. You could stay in a Mayfair flat for that much!

I do wonder why Romania seems to have the monopoly on orphanages, and none of the other ex-Soviet countries. It can't just be the effects of that episode of Challenge Anneka from 20 years ago can it?

Comment

Yeah, the kids begin to get me down too around this time of the summer holidays but isn't that taking things a bit too far?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I never had you down as a kiddie fiddler, but if that's the case no other explanation makes sense.

Why not leave Romanian orphans to be looked after by Romanians?
                  Why not Vietnam, didn't Gary Glitter pay of the family for 200 bucks?

Comment

It's almost grape-picking season in France - you even get 500 euros on top of your (farm) lodgings too. I'd look up the site for you except you're not really.. well.. real.
                    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
                    X