• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now would be a great time for the Argies to try invading the Malvinas again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now would be a great time for the Argies to try invading the Malvinas again

No one minister is standing in for Gordon Brown this weekend while the PM is on holiday, Downing Street has said. Instead a "number of senior ministers are helping out" while he takes his month-long summer break

... On Thursday Harriet Harman ended her week deputising for the PM but Lord Mandelson is still in Corfu.

Downing St said earlier he was in charge and "contactable" but later a spokesman said that was not correct, adding Mr Brown "remains in charge".

He said: "Gordon Brown has a number of senior ministers who are all helping out."

Whether they were on holiday or in the office all ministers were available on their mobile phones and blackberries, he said, pointing out that Justice Secretary Jack Straw was on holiday but had still taken the decision to release Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs.

While Gordon Brown is on his break different ministers are filling in for him as stand-in PM. ...
    Talk about running about like headless chickens

Mind you it's a great chance for the economy to recover a bit, while no ministers are around to make any stupid decisions.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Let's blockade the airports!

How about Nobody in charge for a while?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Nah, they only have to wait 5 or 6 years, when the most our navy will be able to maintain (due to cutbacks) will be a rowing boat.
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        Let's blockade the airports!

How about Nobody in charge for a while?
        John Prescott used to do this every summer didn't he?
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
          Nah, they only have to wait 5 or 6 years, when the most our navy will be able to maintain (due to cutbacks) will be a rowing boat.
          Don't underestimate the power of a submarine capable of launching TLAM. The Argies wouldn't have any ports (air or sea) left on their Atlantic coast within 2 weeks.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Don't underestimate the power of a submarine capable of launching TLAM. The Argies wouldn't have any ports (air or sea) left on their Atlantic coast within 2 weeks.
            I doubt we have that many TLAM and if they are firmly enconsed on the islands we are somewhat more likely to have to accept the status quo given that the Navy no longer has any aircraft capable of air to air combat.

The whole strategy now is to keep them off the islands since once they are there they will have the gift of a wonderful fast jet runway that we built for their pleasure.

Comment

Working...
            X