• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So....CV honesty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So....CV honesty

My CV is 100% honest, with no embelishment of any sort and so far its stood me in good stead.

But hypothetically if a role came up that you were 80% a good match for and you could easily learn the other 20% on the job with no problem is it a bad thing to put the 20% on your CV as something you have already done in order to get the role ?

It would be unethical, unprofessional and immoral. I haven't done it and I wouldn't do it.

I have been on the bench for months.

When I am working, I work with people who are clearly not 100% capable of doing the role they were recruited for and paid damn good money for. Many have never been on the bench.

I believe I am a fool. I blame my parents' for filling my brain with the stupid bloody Protestant work ethic.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      It would be unethical, unprofessional and immoral. I haven't done it and I wouldn't do it.

When I am working, I work with people who are clearly not 100% capable of doing the role they were recruited for and paid damn good money for. Many have never been on the bench.

I believe I am a fool. I blame my parents' for filling my brain with the stupid bloody Protestant work ethic.
      You are 100% right. I haven't done it and would feel wrong doing it.

I do have to wonder if some time on the bench may cure me of my case of morals however.

Comment

Upgrading "I read a book on EJB but never wrote any code" -> "Knowledge of EJB framework": No problem with that.
        Upgrading "I messed about with AS3 for a couple of weeks" -> "Experience with AS3 development & tools"... OK if you can genuinely learn very fast rather than typical contractor bravado.
        Upgrading "I chatted about MVC to another coder in the canteen" -> Experience with Spring Framework... that's just a lie, I'd draw the line at that.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Stolly View Post
          My CV is 100% honest, with no embelishment of any sort and so far its stood me in good stead.

But hypothetically if a role came up that you were 80% a good match for and you could easily learn the other 20% on the job with no problem is it a bad thing to put the 20% on your CV as something you have already done in order to get the role ?
          There's nothing wrong with 'blaggin it' to a small degree when searching for a job. To not do so is incredibly naive imo.

I wouldnt say I could do something I've got absolutely no experience of but I would embellish a minor skill to a degree if necessary.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

The phrase "limited experience" can cover a multitude of sins.

For example, I went after a contract three years ago that required MATLAB - I haven't touched MATLAB in years but I mentioned it anyway and made reference to limited recent experience which led to questions from the clientco.

I didn't get the gig, but I did get a "good work fella" for having 'fessed up to not having touched it recently.

Comment

This is meant as a straight question, not a moral judgement, although it is going to seem like one.

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              There's nothing wrong with 'blaggin it' to a small degree when searching for a job. To not do so is incredibly naive imo.
              The implications of that are that:
              - you always lie to a small extent on your CV;
              - in your opinion anyone who does not lie is naive; and therefore by extension
              - any experienced person will also lie to at least a small extent on their CV.

Do you agree with those statements?
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Blag it all the way. If you don't then you're putting yourself at a disadvantage to the rest of the pack. ClientCos lie, agents lie, fellow applicants lie. Don't mug yourself.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Well your lucky you never went to a Catholic school that would have learnt you more about fear .....

Comment

I've seen loads of dickheads claim they are an expert at x, y and z, then watched them mess it up, and i have often been the one to clean it up.

Odd thing is many of these people earned more than me and seem to still get more time and respect from senior management than i ever got.

Maybes we should all just brush up on bulltulipting skills to mix it up with the agents?

Comment

Working...
                    X