• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How true is your and other people's CVs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How true is your and other people's CVs?

Prompted by Stolly's question about honesty on CVs, here's a poll.

Not public. Multi-choice. Two questions.

1. How honest do you tend to be with your own CV?

2. What do you think other people do?

Edit: If you can, please answer the questions before reading any of the comments below.
    My CV is completely true
    22.88%
    I would exaggerate skills I could revise before getting the gig
    9.32%
    I would claim credit for more than I did
    5.93%
    I would add things I know the client will not check
    5.93%
    I would do whatever it takes to get the gig
    2.54%
    I believe most people's CVs are true
    2.54%
    I believe some people exaggerate
    8.47%
    I believe most people exaggerate
    15.25%
    I believe some people add fake degrees and jobs
    9.32%
    I believe many people add fake degrees and jobs
    3.39%
    Give over. Everyone lies on their CV
    5.93%
    It's not as simple as that. I shall elaborate
    3.39%
    I have 47 PhDs in Chutney Spoon licking and AndyW is my referee
    5.08%
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 8 August 2009, 12:52. Reason: Knowing a summary of the results so far will affect people's answers.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Nobull.

EXCELLENT question set.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
      Nobull.

EXCELLENT question set.
      Yeah, so good I had to vote for all of 'em.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        Prompted by Stolly's question about honesty on CVs, here's a poll.

Not public. Multi-choice. Two questions.

1. How honest do you tend to be with your own CV?

2. What do you think other people do?
        Darn - Although it's multiple-choice, you only get one crack at it, and can't come back to click more options.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

My CV is accurate, but it's sometimes unintentionally ambiguous. I mention things like Sharepoint and SQL Server because I've worked with them and have a reasonable working knowledge of them. But it can cause problems. You want to mention stuff like that because it may be useful and give you the edge in a job application, but you don't want people constantly headhunting you for your expert skills in something you spent a few months on three years ago.

Comment

I find honesty is the best policy - on CV's anyway
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Page 1 of my CV has a technical skills section that also identifies the level/time I've used something. I also never claim advanced knowledge of something once I've not used it for approx. 3 or 4 years; I realise how much I forget and need to relearn in that time. I claim no knowedge of dBase IV even though I used it in '93; I do reference a course I took in it to demonstrate how long I've been doing this sort of work.

As it happens, in my current role I was asked to extract data from a site which was still using dBase IV. After the initial shock I was able to work with it. Just.

Comment

Lol - on early results, we're going to end up with the majority claiming their CV is true, but most people's are not. Like the well known "80% of people think they're a better than average driver" stat
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

<------ Blagger and proud of it.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

My CV is completely true 18 64.29%

Quite a few liars around here then.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X