• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

tories 20% VAT plan.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tories 20% VAT plan.

Nice. That should aid recovery!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...or-20-VAT.html

The Conservatives are studying plans to increase VAT to 20 per cent if they win power at the next election as part of an “emergency” package to pull Britain out of the red.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

If you seriously think that whoever wins the next election they won't increase the tax take pretty quickly one way or another, then you take naivety to a whole new level.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

At least that would provide some benefit (to gov debt) unlike the VAT reduction which helped nothing and is costing an absolute fortune

Comment

Worryingly I fear that whoever wins the next election the ****-ups made by PWC (Party of War Criminals) means that we've got lean times ahead.

Comment

Just as I don't believe the Tories would have prevented this crash (remember that as late as 2007 they were calling for more de-regulation), I don't believe NuLab have any alternative to raising taxes. I can see both parties going for the 20% VAT option simply because it's relatively easy to implement. Higher income tax will just push more higher earners abroad. I suspect also that VAT will be extended to goods that currently have exemptions.

I would like to see where cuts are going to take place though (as they must). CallMeDave has already stated that the NHS, Tax Credits and Overseas Aid will not be cut. At least the Tories admit that there will have to be major cuts - currently NuLab are in denial.
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

20% VAT is inevitable, along with a squeeze to the FRS VAT scheme.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

This would never happen under the Tories
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                20% VAT is inevitable, along with a squeeze to the FRS VAT scheme.
                That already happened when the VAT rate went down. Because the flat rates didn't move by as much, I'm £300 pa worse off as a result.

The VAT rate cut was supposed to help small business. If this is the governments idea of help, FFS what will it be like when they decide to get mean.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  That already happened when the VAT rate went down. Because the flat rates didn't move by as much, I'm £300 pa worse off as a result.

The VAT rate cut was supposed to help small business. If this is the governments idea of help, FFS what will it be like when they decide to get mean.
                  Correct, same here.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                    Just as I don't believe the Tories would have prevented this crash (remember that as late as 2007 they were calling for more de-regulation), I don't believe NuLab have any alternative to raising taxes. I can see both parties going for the 20% VAT option simply because it's relatively easy to implement. Higher income tax will just push more higher earners abroad. I suspect also that VAT will be extended to goods that currently have exemptions.

I would like to see where cuts are going to take place though (as they must). CallMeDave has already stated that the , Tax Credits will not be cut.
                    Did he?

I am sure that I saw their spokesman on TV saying that paying credits to people on 60K was absurd (and they'd be right!)

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X