• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Today's the Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's the Day

... of the 64th anniversary of the dropping of the first (and, to date, only) hostile plutonium bomb - dropped on Nagasaki (the second target - they missed Kokura).

Irrespective of what one might think of Japanese atrocities in Manchuria or against British / other PWs, the death of 80,000 people in one single event is truly worthy of quiet reflection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Na...Hypocentre.jpg

In an example of the application of Murphys Law, a number of people had travelled from Hiroshima (after the first bombing - August 6th) TO Nagasaki before the bombing of August 9th.

As someone said to me many years ago, “If they hadn’t used them then, they would have used 'em later and we’d all gone up in smoke.” By which he meant that they would have more likely been a nuclear exchange during the cold war, when both sides had them, because there would not have been those horrific images to calm the leaders down.

They cannot be un-invented; it was inevitable that they would be created at some point in time. There will never be a time in the future that they will never ever exist. Now go and live with it.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

In any case, General Douglas MacArthur estimated that invading Japan by conventional means would have cost at least 1,000,000 lives, and might even have meant starting a war against the Russians (who were planning to invade Japan themselves in October 1945).
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

HAB - not a day for celebration, indeed. I'm afraid I don't subscribe to your view that nuclear weapons would have been used anyway. The scientists believed they understood the power (in terms of physics, emitted neutrons etc.) of what they had created but didn't understand what that would actually mean to real people. Maybe a few more years research and that would have become apparent? And therefore their use would have been unthinkable?
        Maybe one good thing that came out of the Manhattan project was some kind of modest advance in ethical thinking re scientific research.

I believe Menelaus was just saying we should think about the day(s). And I agree.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

For clarification:

1. I'm an ex-serviceman and my only view on nuclear weapons from a philosophical perspective is that they're absolutely horrendous but - as is the obscene way of the world - the prospect of MAD kept NATO and WarPac from frying each other

2. Despite being a math-hound, my first love was always physics and I hope I understand in some small way why Einstein wrote in the Atlantic Monthly in November 1947

The great physicist would live to regret his lobbying: “Had I known that the Germans would not succeed in developing an atomic bomb,” he told Newsweek in 1947, “I would have done nothing.”

(Source: http://theamericanideabook.theatlant...r_or_peace.php)

2. My initial post was a call to remember those who died that day

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
            ... of the 64th anniversary of the dropping of the first (and, to date, only) hostile plutonium bomb - dropped on Nagasaki (the second target - they missed Kokura).

Irrespective of what one might think of Japanese atrocities in Manchuria or against British / other PWs, the death of 80,000 people in one single event is truly worthy of quiet reflection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Na...Hypocentre.jpg

In an example of the application of Murphys Law, a number of people had travelled from Hiroshima (after the first bombing - August 6th) TO Nagasaki before the bombing of August 9th.
            Ten people, I believe. I've never managed to find out if any of them survived the second bomb. But it's salutary to remember when you think you've had a piece of bad luck, just how bad luck can get.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Ten people, I believe. I've never managed to find out if any of them survived the second bomb. But it's salutary to remember when you think you've had a piece of bad luck, just how bad luck can get.
              Link 1:

On March 24, 2009, the Japanese government recognized Tsutomu Yamaguchi as a double hibakusha. Tsutomu Yamaguchi was confirmed to be 3 kilometers from ground zero in Hiroshima on a business trip when the bomb was detonated. He was seriously burnt on his left side and spent the night in Hiroshima. He got back to his home city of Nagasaki on August 8, a day before the bomb in Nagasaki was dropped, and he was exposed to residual radiation while searching for his relatives. He is the first confirmed survivor of both bombings.
              Link 2 for more information.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Link 1:

Link 2 for more information.
                As we say where I come from..."lucky white heather"

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                  As we say where I come from..."lucky white heather"
                  If that's good luck, you can shove your 'lucky' heather up yer arse.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    If that's good luck, you can shove your 'lucky' heather up yer arse.
                    Give him a tenner and he might let you

IGMC etc (cab on speed dial)
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X