• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Telegraph web site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telegraph web site

Recalling NickFitz's low opinion of the Telegraph web site, I notice it has taken to automatically refreshing its pages every 5 minutes (which I'm sure it never used to). Sounds like a stunt to artificially boost the page view count.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Where was Nick slagging it off?

I know I'm getting chucked off with the reporting there.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      A while ago. (They may have fixed the problems since then, but I doubt it.)

I know I'm getting chucked off with the reporting there.
      Me too. An example from last week (quoted from memory) ".. given the tens of thousands of years between the evolution of multicelled life and the emergence of humans ..". I suppose technically that is right, because it is 70,000 lots of "ten thousand years", but it's misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Here mainly, although I've mentioned it in a couple of other places too

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Here mainly, although I've mentioned it in a couple of other places too
          Crikey, that second link shows that Google has already found the first post in this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Crikey, that second link shows that Google has already found the first post in this thread!
            Yep - they take less than ten minutes sometimes

The whole "chutney spoon" explosion was a good opportunity to see just how rapidly Google can index CUK and ramp it to the top of the results for suitable searches

Comment

Yep - they take less than ten minutes sometimes

The whole "chutney spoon" explosion was a good opportunity to see just how rapidly Google can index CUK and ramp it to the top of the results for suitable searches
              All hail the famous-web-search-engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                All hail the famous-web-search-engine.

I originally wrote a whole bunch of stuff relating to SEO, the history of Google's update speed, and how it's increased over the last few years; I went back to 2004 (although I could have gone further - anybody else remember the googledance?).

Then I realised that what I'd written was a) off-topic, and b) too good to waste on a post in General

Comment

I originally wrote a whole bunch of stuff relating to SEO, the history of Google's update speed, and how it's increased over the last few years; I went back to 2004 (although I could have gone further - anybody else remember the googledance?).

Then I realised that what I'd written was a) off-topic, and b) too good to waste on a post in General
                  Publish, sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                    Publish, sir!

OK, here's as far as I got before I decided to snip it; remember, this is just work-in-progress, and therefore ends abruptly; it also doesn't include some stuff I had the links for but hadn't filled in yet:

The days of drawn out experiments related to terms like "nigritude ultramarine" are behind us.

I remember reading Anil's post at the time (2004) and reckoning that he was spot on with his assessment of the so-called "SEO experts" - many of them are just filthy spammers.

Interestingly, though, companies such as Yahoo! employ their own teams of SEO experts - people working on non-search-related projects (e.g. Answers, flickr, Upcoming) have no access to Y!'s in-house search mavens for legal reasons, so they are just as concerned with SEO as everybody else.

At the end of the day, it always comes down to the same thing: provide useful and relevant content, and publish new (useful and relevant) content reasonably frequently (regularly isn't actually necessary, but leaving things to rot for a couple of years won't help).

Oh, and make sure your <title> tags contain meaningful descriptions of the content, although the algorithms are smart enough to route around fripperies such as the site's main title being included (and that can actually help).

After that, meaningful URLS are always better than the kind of stuff Microsoft products like ASP.NET come up with by default - remember that although Amazon has dreadful URLs yet still ranks high, that's because it's Amazon and gets linked to by everybody, not because its URLs help it.

Same with the MSDN library - seriously, are Microsoft's technologies so crap that the best name their own people can come up with for a page entitled (to pick one example at random) "max Method (Windows Scripting - JScript)" is dxcwky7y(VS.85).aspx?

Comment

Working...
                    X