• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not been here in ages.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not been here in ages.....

How is everyone?

To save me searching, can someone give me the reasons to either:

1: Stay Limited Company - I am sick of all the paperwork etc

2: GO Umbrella - easy option

I am currently (1) but I am tempted by (2) for next contract....

What is the main concensus???
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Compare the advantages:

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    Control over your finances, dunning, expenses claims; ability to arrange your affairs in a tax efficient manner, ability to do other work, fix rate VAT scheme.

Disadvantages: paper work. (minimal).

No effort required.

Disadvantages: reduced control over your finances. Reliant on brolly to exercise credit control on your behalf. Have to stick to brolly expenses rules. PAYE only.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I recall this thread is quite compelling
      http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...g-problem.html

Comment

What about companies like Parasol etc?
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

I'll tell you what, why don't I do all the research and send you a full report?

On 2nd thoughts, you're obviously a lazy c**t so just use an umbrella

Comment

HAHA, I was after opinions!!! I missed you guys...

Comment

I think Platypus voiced his opinion quite well.

Comment

What about companies like Parasol etc?
                No effort required.

Disadvantages: reduced control over your finances. Reliant on Parasol to exercise credit control on your behalf. Have to stick to brolly expenses rules. PAYE only.

If you want to know about other umbrella companies, simply replace the word "Parasol" with the other brollies.

Of course, you could use Sunday Solution et al, and then you get:

No effort required.

Disadvantages: reduced control over your finances. Reliant on Parasol to exercise credit control on your behalf. Have to stick to brolly expenses rules. PAYE only. Huge risk of having to pay tax and penalties at a later date.

Comment

Gosh! You have been away a long time.

We're tending to go self-employed now. Since that S-thingie ruling and the opting in/out business came in, it makes no difference to the agents any more how we work.

Self-employed is by far the most tax efficient, least paperwork, no IR35 and you don't need an accountant.

And NOBODY does umbrellas any more, they're all falling over like ninepins.

So as year end comes, we've all been converting to self-employed.

You really do need to:

a) keep up;
                  b) do your research, you're in business, dammit!
                  c) learn to spell consensus.

HTH
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

How is everyone?

If you're sick of your own money then you might want to just try going permie. That's even easier!

And if you missed that, it was

Oh...and welcome back
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X