• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ski season work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ski season work

Anyone ever worked the ski season?

If so, where and what did you do? What was the money like?

Am thinking ahead to later in the year if the market fails to pick up.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Did it, aged 22 (Churchill - straight after coming back from exercise at Hammerfest ) when couldn't decide what to do with my life.

Worked like a dog (may have had a correlative relationship with the trust-fund-wielding-floppy-haired-spending-Daddys-money-supposedly-working-but-really-chasing-after-flange... ***** (ahem)).

I'm sure if you get a good bunch of people it'd be ace: my experience wasn't great. Did get laid though on so many occasions I had the amoxycillin in the fridge ... penis in one hand, penicillin in the other!

Comment

I've worked the ski season every year for the last 20.

and the summer season and the autumn season and the spring season.

and all in west yorkshire in frickin IT.

Now I'm on the bench. I hope I won't be on the bench all next ski season.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Done two seasons, never worked though - well I did a little on my first one, but it was impacting on my riding time so I gave it up.

It's possible to turn up and do it cheap, or get a bar job, something like that.

Get a share house, or long term deal in a hostel (Better I think, meet more people in same situation). Get a season pass. Learn how to do it cheap - cook all your own meals, take lunch up with ya, hitchhike or walk if it's not ski in/out, do your own waxing/edging etc You'll be surprised how long you can last for.

Ski resorts are funny little social systems. You have your proper locals, who hate us all, ones who work who hate the ones who don't work, and the tourists who everyone hates ...

Best thing I've ever done. Also, my advice - Canada is reasonably cheap away from places like Whistler and Banff, and has some absolutely awesome ski-ing ... (I'd recommend Fernie, or Kicking Horse). I got a season pass in Canada that covered 13 resorts, inc kicking horse, banff ones etc. Loved it!
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

A few of my mates have done seasons. If you work as a tour rep, you'll work like a dog one day a week, the rest of the time there's not much work.

Every single one of them has had an awesome time...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Worked a season a few years ago out in Val d'Isere - had an absolutely fantastic time! Worked in a chalet which was pretty gruelling but meant I got to ski everyday and go out every night. Pay isn't great and you only get 1 day off a week, but you get your food, accommodation, ski/boot hire covered and generally get tips too.

Check out natives.co.uk for info on all the resorts, jobs going etc

Comment

Working...
            X