• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permi Job AND Contracting - Killing Me!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permi Job AND Contracting - Killing Me!!!

Girlz and Boyz,

I am currently doing a full time permi role and a full time contracting role, working through nights and weekends - and it is killing me!!!! But cant let go of the security the Permi is offering and the contracting does seem very loose - i.e. one week at a time - however been at it for the last 3 weeks. This is the outline for the day's i have been running - including Sats/Suns

My Day:
    745: Up and out, Arrive at Permi job 9:00.
    12: 10Km Run during lunch, grabbing a sandwich latter
    1700 Run Home (10 miles) Arrive @18:30 food and out 19:00
    1930-1:30 working again 2nd job
    2.00 home

Does this sound a little to much? The permi job is putting me under pressure at the moment, i think its because they don't have to much for me to do, and sense i am taking the mickey at little....whilst they don't know about the contracting they are sensing my commitment levels are not that great.

my ideal would be that the contracting turns a little towards me by offering me fixed period term - however very small company and sure its going to dry up in the next 2 weeks

what would you guys do?

Stop being so lazy and get a 3rd job.

Bloody ingrate.
    Still Invoicing

Comment

How sustainable is your situation...

Ok - firstly, well done on securing 2 roles in a challenging market and keeping your running going too. That's no mean feat.

I'd ask you how sustainable you think your current workload is at the moment and how much balance you have in your life.

What is having 2 roles costing you at the moment? What are the benefits v's the current and potential impact moving forward.

You already have some awareness about what the permanent employer is starting to notice about your performance.

Where do you see yourself in 3 months? When do you have time for yourself?

Lloyd
      Performance Coach

Comment

With that schedule, it won't be long before overall productivity falls faster than Bill Clinton's trousers ....
        The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

10Km run every lunchtime? And it's the two jobs that are killing you?

Give up the exercise and eat pizza and drink coke round the clock, and you'll be fine.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Huh

If you dont herniate a disc from running too much you will very likely burn out and sped all your loot recuperating.
            There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

I'd knock working in the local curry-house on the head. Surely the pay isn't that attractive!

Comment

two runs per day - update

i only do this once or twice a week, helps my totals for the week and month currently (200).

I have been running for 2/3 years now and it seems not a bad addition in all honesty. It also gives me a day rest during the week - to completely recover.

find it helps alot with stress, leave it all behined

Comment

Why not buy a car or take the bus? That will make life easier!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

You like the running and the contracting might run out. You've answered your own question.

If you are finding it a strain but want to keep the running going, you could use your permie holiday or ask for some unpaid leave.
                    "take me to your leader"

Comment

Working...
                    X