• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So what are sjd like??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what are sjd like??

Need to find an accountant to help out on a new company I've set up

my tax is a bit complicated and money is not a problem

from what I understand you have to choose from

Sjd
    Nixon willisams
    Upton

who gets your vote and why. Do you fin staff knowledgable??

Bruce Allen - Bit pricey, but well worth it.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Bruce Allen - Bit pricey, but well worth it.
      From which company?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMcadden1 View Post
        From which company?
        I'm guessing here, but think it may be Bruce Allen.

Comment

Sjd
          Nixon willisams
          Upton

I use SJD they are ok if a bit expensive. Are there better out there ? Probably.

Comment

You don't state why you think your tax is a bit complicated but it could be a serious consideration for the type of accountant that you choose.

Sjd
            Nixon willisams
            Upton

Your understanding is wrong. There are at least three other accountants in the UK.

From your other posts it looks like you are doing bog-standard contracting so you should be fine with any of those you list.

Why don't you try phoning them up and talking to them to see if there is one that you prefer dealing with?

Whatever you do, make sure you fully understand the services that you will be receiving from your accountant so that you are not on here in six months' time bleating about how it is now what you expected.
            Last edited by Gonzo; 11 August 2009, 05:47.

Comment

The one further thing that I would add is that if you are operating outside of IR35 then I think it would pay to use an accountant that understands IR35 issues.

Not so that your accountant can advise you on this, but you don't want your accountant to inadvertently make your dealings with HMRC more difficult than they would otherwise be.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                The one further thing that I would add is that if you are operating outside of IR35 then I think it would pay to use an accountant that understands IR35 issues.

Not so that your accountant can advise you on this, but you don't want your accountant to inadvertently make your dealings with HMRC more difficult than they would otherwise be.
                ok. Do all the accountants I listed know about ir35

will probably run with nixxon

Comment

ok. Do all the accountants I listed know about ir35

will probably run with nixxon
                  Nixon's fees are quite low but I would be cautious that there are not any hidden fees that will jump out at you, I nearly went with them but was worried that extra fees would be charged.

Comment

I've found Upton & co to be pretty good
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X