• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sensible investment ideas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensible investment ideas

So, I'm just about done paying off my debts, have about 6 months worth of warchest in the bank and I'm looking to start investing about £1k a month.

Do the panel have any particular recommendations? I'm looking fairly short term (1-2 years) before I take it all out and disappear off to Oz
    ǝןqqıʍ

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    So, I'm just about done paying off my debts, have about 6 months worth of warchest in the bank and I'm looking to start investing about £1k a month.

Do the panel have any particular recommendations? I'm looking fairly short term (1-2 years) before I take it all out and disappear off to Oz
    I can hold it for you and give you steady 15% annual return.
    Regards
    B.Madoff
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

If you are serious, stick it in a SIPP. I say this because although in the UK you can't get the money until retirement age, if you are pissing off abroad you can elect to have your pension fund transferred (QROPS) and after 5 years, with a bit of jiggery pokery, get your hands on the whole pot tax free regardless of your age.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Unlock-You...les&id=2026628

Comment

Guaranteed to beat cash over such a short period in this market? I await suggestions with interest.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          If you are serious, stick it in a SIPP. I say this because although in the UK you can't get the money until retirement age, if you are pissing off abroad you can elect to have your pension fund transferred (QROPS) and after 5 years, with a bit of jiggery pokery, get your hands on the whole pot tax free regardless of your age.

I'm entirely serious, this definitely seems worth looking into, thanks DP
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

why not buy a patch of land in OZ while its cheap. then stick a house on it

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Why not buy a bigger house in the UK and then sell in 2 years time, and double your money?

Comment

Invest in Northern Rock shares?
                "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Just be careful with transferring money to Aussie super, the rules are pretty tight and if you want any of it before age 60 you've got buckleys. Also any earnings in Aussie super are taxed at 15% whereas they're tax free here.

Being able to take it as one lump sum tax free at retirement is a big advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                    Invest in Northern Rock shares?
                    Not actually such a stupid idea: they've got (or at least should have) a near-sovereign rating.

Comment

Working...
                    X