• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

English people haven't changed much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English people haven't changed much

Still the same old, same old...

And so the talk continued, principally carried on by Crass and those who agreed with him. None of them really understood the subject: not one of them had ever devoted fifteen consecutive minutes to the earnest investigation of it. The papers they read were filled with vague and alarming accounts of the quantities of foreign merchandise imported into this country, the enormous number of aliens constantly arriving, and their destitute conditions, how they lived, the crimes they committed, and the injury they did to British trade. These were the seeds which, cunningly sown in their minds, caused to grow up within them a bitter undiscriminating hatred of foreigners. To them the mysterious thing they variously called the `Friscal Policy', the `Fistical Policy', or the `Fissical Question' was a great Anti-Foreign Crusade. The country was in a hell of a state, poverty, hunger and misery in a hundred forms had already invaded thousands of homes and stood upon the thresholds of thousands more. How came these things to be? It was the bloody foreigner! Therefore, down with the foreigners and all their works. Out with them. Drive them b--s into the bloody sea! The country would be ruined if not protected in some way. This Friscal, Fistical, Fissical or support it. It was all quite plain - quite simple. One did not need to think twice about it. It was scarcely necessary to think about it at all.

This was the conclusion reached by Crass and such of his mates who thought they were Conservatives - the majority of them could not have read a dozen sentences aloud without stumbling - it was not necessary to think or study or investigate anything. It was all as clear as daylight. The foreigner was the enemy, and the cause of poverty and bad trade.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

.. The majority of them could not have read a dozen sentences aloud without stumbling - it was not necessary to think or study or investigate anything. It was all as clear as daylight. ..
    The big difference is that now cabinet ministers are like that too.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I read a Scot on another board defying us to name another country that liked the English. He may have a point. I originally thought of Portugal, but the holidaymakers on the Algarve and the Maddie business may have dented our appeal there.
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

There are only 2 nationalities , the good guys and the bad guys
        Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
          I read a Scot on another board defying us to name another country that liked the English. He may have a point. I originally thought of Portugal, but the holidaymakers on the Algarve and the Maddie business may have dented our appeal there.
          I always thought that we were OK in Portugal.

I haven't been there for ten years but when I was there I found the locals very welcoming when they found out I was English despite the fact that English was not widely spoken outside of the main centres. (I did make an effort to speak in Portuguese so I suspect that made a difference).

In the suburbs of Porto there is a monument to commemorate the English and the Portuguese joining forces to defeat Napoleon.
          Last edited by Gonzo; 12 August 2009, 01:34.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            The Americans quite like us as long as we do what they say.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

The Germans like the English, in spite of the fact that we insult them all the time.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                The Germans like the English, in spite of the fact that we insult them all the time.
                Strange isn't it? After what we did to their city centres like Hamburg and Dresden. I think it's because they're relieved to find someone more hated than themselves. Plus they know they can always beat us nowadays in football tournaments like the World Cup.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  The Americans quite like us as long as we do what they say.
                  The Irish-Americans hate us more than the most militant Irish. Perhaps living in Boston is a factor?

Comment

The japs like our air hostesses

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X