• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

File Manager Software recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Manager Software recommendation

I'm looking for a windows prog that can ID differences in file lists between directories on two drives and copy files between the two. I have a bit of shareware (which I have paid for) that IDs both newer files and those that aren't present on each drive, but it won't let me just copy the missing files in one direction without me tagging each directory it's identified. I know if I was proper tech I'd be doing this via command line (and I will for the Linux bit) but I just want a simple bit of someone's windows trickery - happy to pay within reason.

Edit: Google hasn't really been my pal so -far all claim to be wonderful but I don't have time to d/l loads of stuff and try - so thought I'd ask some experts innit?

I think Microsoft SyncToy 2.0 will do what you want - I use it for synchronising directories between my laptop and NAS box.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Or robocopy will do it, although its command line its not hard.

Comment

I know the scanner part of enterprise discovery will do this, but it would cost a lot to purchase it - however if you work at a place that has it you might be able to 'borrow' a copy
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

http://allwaysync.com is free for a certain amount of files. I registered in the end as I am sync'ing 3 pcs with a nas box, with all my photos and mp3 files.
          "take me to your leader"

Comment

I use the Synchronize Directories command in Total Commander. Loads of options, dead easy to use and you get to see what the sync will do (and change it) before it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
              http://allwaysync.com is free for a certain amount of files. I registered in the end as I am sync'ing 3 pcs with a nas box, with all my photos and mp3 files.
              Great program - I bought it after a recommendation on here. Really does the biz and better IMO than MS Sync Toy.

Comment

Fabulous! Thanks to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                  I nominate that as the program I miss most since I moved to Mac.

Comment

xcopy /D /E /V /H /R /Y <source directory> <destination directory>

/D is newer files
                    /E is search subdirectories
                    /V is verify each copy
                    /H is copy hidden and system files too
                    /R is overwrite read only files
                    /Y is don't bother prompting to overwrite.

Although it's command line it's the best tool and part of windows.

You might need xxcopy or similar (search google) if you have very long file names with subdirectories etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X