• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Four Wheel drive (used)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four Wheel drive (used)

Seeing as there is a thread titled "Sports Car (used)", I wondered if anyone might have any recommendations on a reliable four wheel drive, AKA Chelsea tractor.

How many MPG do they typically do? Are they as bad as global warming doomsters make out?

I'd obviously prefer one with a bit of poke, and unlikely to tip over when changing lanes on the motorway.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Got a Toyota RAV-4 2.2 Diesel. I get about 43 mpg out of it & it'll sit at 100 on the motorway very happily. My only critcism is that there are too many things that go beep but I guess that's par for the course these days.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      Got a Toyota RAV-4 2.2 Diesel. I get about 43 mpg out of it & it'll sit at 100 on the motorway very happily. My only critcism is that there are too many things that go beep but I guess that's par for the course these days.
      We've got a RAV too - it's a 2 litre D4D.

The only thing wrong with it is that my wife keeps reversing into things in it.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        We've got a RAV too - it's a 2 litre D4D.

The only thing wrong with it is that my wife keeps reversing into things in it.
        Ah, mine has a reverse parking sensor. Doesn't have one at the front though so my g/f keeps running into things in it.

Comment

A lot depends on what you want - there's a huge range -the current model Ford Kuga is a "soft roader" with class leading emissions and economy, but it's pricey and I'd bet on the Toyotas being more reliable. My mate's got a Honda CRV which he rates very highly, someone on here has a Nissan X-Trail - there's loads of choice these days. If you want something bigger of course, there's also loads of choice there.

Comment

Subaru Forester, its a jacked up Impreza, goes like stink and can do some soft roading if need be.

Though I am considering a 'proper' 4x4 atm, trying to decide between a LandRover Discovery, Defender or a Audi Allroad
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
              Subaru Forester, its a jacked up Impreza, goes like stink and can do some soft roading if need be.

Though I am considering a 'proper' 4x4 atm, trying to decide between a LandRover Discovery, Defender or a Audi Allroad
              Have you seen that video of various 4WD cars trying to make it up a ski slope? IIRC the Audi was the only one to make it ( I don't think there was a Land Rover in the test)
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've got an Mitsubishi Trojan L200 Crew Cab. Dead reliable and built like a truck....well it is a truck. Get about 25mpg ish on a run. Add a Mitsubishi authorised engine bhp upgrade for £400 and you're sorted.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Toyota Hilux is the best looking 4x4...IMHO...plus you can leave it in the sea, drive it through a caravan, hit it with a wrecking ball, set it on fire and park it on high buildings.....how cool is that?
                  "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

VW Toureg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zRyoBbcfI

Comment

Working...
                    X