• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help me make a choice!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me make a choice!

Won two contracts today after 7 weeks of bench time, both London based:

1) Client: large organisation through a niche consultancy
    Role: PM role working with Oracle technologies
    Duration: 12 months with likely renewal
    Rate: 420p/d with a rise in April 2010
    Advantages: potentially huge public exposure if successful, internationally recognised, working through consultancy into Public Sector rather than direct, strong likelihood of working with other clients through the consultancy, working with MD of consultancy and CIO so good mentorship possibilities (I'm 30).

2) Client: large public sector organisation that deals with 'transport' :-)
    Role: PM role but smaller projects in differing technologies / basic office moves, IS based projects etc.
    Duration: 4 months with possible renewal
    Rate: 390p/d
    Advantages: team is younger, more diverse, project variety, will work with others also from consultancy background, may work with previous colleagues too.

I really dunno, option 2 appeals because the working environment is quite young and dynamic and projects COULD be interesting, but duration and rate are not ideal. Option 1 has longevity, better rate and I can really learn from the people I will be working with.

Advice / tips?

P
    Last edited by Peter Loew; 11 August 2009, 20:39.

Neither. Both are public sector - you should be ashamed of yourself.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Not a good PM if not a good decision maker
      Flip a coin

personally I would probably go with the first option.
      PAConsulting by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
        Not a good PM if not a good decision maker
        Flip a coin

personally I would probably go with the first option.
        PAConsulting by any chance?
        Nope, not PA, you would not have heard of them I don't think..

Comment

They're so similar.

Option 1. Less commuting time= more time for yourself.

7.5 hours work
          7.5 hours sleep
          9 hours for yourself minus commuting.

Option 1 = 8:45 for you, 0:15 commute
          Option 2 = 8:00 for you, 1:00 commute

Option 1 gives over 10% more personal time on Mon-Fri.
          Last edited by RichardCranium; 11 August 2009, 22:02.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            They're so similar.

Option 1. Less commuting time= more time for yourself.

7.5 hours work
            7.5 hours sleep
            9 hours for yourself minus commuting.

Option 1 = 8:45 for you, 0:15 commute
            Option 2 = 8:00 for you, 1:00 commute

Option 1 gives over 10% more personal time on Mon-Fri.
            Good breakdown, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
              Won two contracts today after 7 weeks of bench time, both London based:

1) Client: large organisation through a niche consultancy
              Role: PM role working with Oracle technologies
              Duration: 12 months with likely renewal
              Rate: 420p/d with a rise in April 2010
              Advantages: potentially huge public exposure if successful, internationally recognised, working through consultancy into Public Sector rather than direct, strong likelihood of working with other clients through the consultancy, working with MD of consultancy and CIO so good mentorship possibilities (I'm 30).

2) Client: large public sector organisation that deals with 'transport' :-)
              Role: PM role but smaller projects in differing technologies / basic office moves, IS based projects etc.
              Duration: 4 months with possible renewal
              Rate: 390p/d
              Advantages: team is younger, more diverse, project variety, will work with others also from consultancy background, may work with previous colleagues too.

I really dunno, option 2 appeals because the working environment is quite young and dynamic and projects COULD be interesting, but duration and rate are not ideal. Option 1 has longevity, better rate and I can really learn from the people I will be working with.

Advice / tips?

P
              If option 2 is Transport for London, then their "quite young and dynamic" team is mainly Indian. Couldn't understand a word that they were saying when I was interviewed by them....

Anyway, I'd say option 1, no contest. Option 2 sounds "c-r-a-p" in comparison. Remember the golden rule of contracting: You are only as good as your next contract. I think option 1 would look far better on your cv. And it's a 3 times longer contract - might even be enough to see you through the recession.

Cheers,

Nomadd
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                If option 2 is Transport for London, then their "quite young and dynamic" team is mainly Indian. Couldn't understand a word that they were saying when I was interviewed by them....

Anyway, I'd say option 1, no contest. Option 2 sounds "c-r-a-p" in comparison. Remember the golden rule of contracting: You are only as good as your next contract. I think option 1 would look far better on your cv. And it's a 3 times longer contract - might even be enough to see you through the recession.

Cheers,

Nomadd
                Thanks. Can't wait to unsubscribe from those mostly useless **** instant job alerts.

Comment

Can't people make their own minds up these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post

Advice / tips?

P
                    Option 1 every time due to money, length, commute and money. Forget about the work environment being young and dynamic. Its a place to earn not make friends.

Comment

Working...
                    X