• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a franchise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a franchise

Morning - does anyone have any experience past or current of buying / setting up as a franchise? I have a serious Plan B idea I'm currently researching and interested to hear any war stories.

My father did this once.. Said he'd never do it again.. It's not that he wasn't busy, but the franchise fees (along with the 'you have to buy the products from us' rule) left very little margin at the end of the month..

Let's just say he ended up being a little 'inventive' as to his sales figures (and was buying products from another supplier) in order to get by..
    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

And what happens to your investment when the parent company goes bust? Like Coffee Republic?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I heard recently that it costs £250k to setup a Dominos Pizza...
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
          I heard recently that it costs £250k to setup a Dominos Pizza...
          You'd make that back in a fortnight though with their prices
          Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
          I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Never had any personal experience of franchise's myself but know a few people who have and for majority the reports are pretty bad.

Basically conclusion I have drawn from those I have spoken to is, you are just buying a right to use a name/brand and the right for someone else to tell you how to run your business (and not necessarily to your business's benefit).

If that name/brand is not worth the cost/hassle in extra revenue it brings it is not recommended

Comment

A franchise is a great business for the franchiser not the franchisee.

HTH

Comment

Franchise

I think you will generally positive and negatives for that one, and alot depends on your skills and the actual franchise.

I had a negative experience with a franchise. A very good idea with a poor business system, died a death after 12 months.

I have had clients with positive experiences.

You may want to ask, do you want to buy a business, or a job, some franchises are just jobs in disguise.

If its a business you are after you may want to be sure that you need the franchise and that there are real advantages ( to you !) of being a franchisee.

Its a big step, and so easy to lose money. But thats the same with any business i guess !

Phil

Comment

Be very, very, very careful what you sign.

My son is a solicitor and recently had a couple in tears in his office because they had signed up to something which committed them to make monthly payments regardless of what income the business generated.

They couldn't generate enough income to cover the payments, and there was no way out of the contract without challenging it in court, with the risk of losing.

It looks like they are going to lose everything because of this.

HTH
                  Dave

ps I'm a poster from many moons ago, under a different id. I signed up again just to warn you. So be warned!

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Dave View Post
                    Be very, very, very careful what you sign.

My son is a solicitor and recently had a couple in tears in his office because they had signed up to something which committed them to make monthly payments regardless of what income the business generated.

They couldn't generate enough income to cover the payments, and there was no way out of the contract without challenging it in court, with the risk of losing.

It looks like they are going to lose everything because of this.

HTH
                    Dave

ps I'm a poster from many moons ago, under a different id. I signed up again just to warn you. So be warned!

Were you Thin Dave then?
                    'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
                    X