PDA

View Full Version : The lunatics are running the asylum part 94

expat
12th August 2009, 15:49
Our rubbish is now only collected every 2 weeks. We have flies buzzing round the bin despite carefully double-bagging food rubbish. If they give rise to maggots before the collection next week, I'm taking it to the council to show them.

The leaflet telling us so was available in Afghani and Somali, as well as the usual Urdu, Vietnamese, etc. Must get spending priorities right.

BoredBloke
12th August 2009, 15:50
I like the way it's the stuff rotting that is attracting the flies, so the solution is to put it into 2 bin bags which don't! How does that help the environment?

Lockhouse
12th August 2009, 15:53
Our rubbish is now only collected every 2 weeks. We have flies buzzing round the bin despite carefully double-bagging food rubbish. If they give rise to maggots before the collection next week, I'm taking it to the council to show them.

We have to pay someone now to come round after the binmen and clean our bin out because since they went to fortnightly collections our bin gets full of maggots. Even though we bag everything two weeks is just too long in the summer to go between collections. At least all our instructions are still in English.

chef
12th August 2009, 15:57
lucky you are born, im tellin ya

in Manchester we dont get instructions and have 1 bin between 6 apartments

in Munich we get 4 bins inside the house and 6 bins outside along with instructions in German with a lot of CAPITAL letters, red writing and !!! with lots of different pricing structures for the fines I will invariably clock up due to not being fluent in Bayerish German.. yet

PRC1964
12th August 2009, 15:57
If you have the time and the inclination you might enjoy taking bags of rubbish over to the council offices and shoving them in their bins.

Who knows, they may develop their own maggot problem.

However:

1) They may have trouble distinguishing between the maggots and the councillors.

2) They probably don't have to wait two weeks for their rubbish collection.

OwlHoot
12th August 2009, 16:09

Wouldn't it be easier and less unpleasant just to get a waste disposal unit (http://www.hotfroguk.co.uk/Companies/The-Tap-Store/Kitchen-Waste-Disposal-Units-5163) next to your kitchen sink?

That and rinsing out empty tins should cut down the smell etc to practically zero.

d000hg
12th August 2009, 16:11
Do the maggots eat their way through the bin-bags?

Also, how do you people get maggots, what are you throwing away? When we manage to forget a weekly collection, our bin doesn't suddenly start attracting flies and I've never seen a single maggot.

Good British ingenuity though, making money doing a bin-cleaning round.

PRC1964
12th August 2009, 16:12
Do the maggots eat their way through the bin-bags?

Also, how do you people get maggots, what are you throwing away? When we manage to forget a weekly collection, our bin doesn't suddenly start attracting flies and I've never seen a single maggot.

Good British ingenuity though, making money doing a bin-cleaning round.
:spel Eastern European

DimPrawn
12th August 2009, 16:15
I pour thick bleach round the top of the bin rim when it is empty, it trickles down.

Result, bin smells clean and no flies or maggots.

Simples.

expat
12th August 2009, 18:06
... how do you people get maggots, what are you throwing away?Fish guts. Phew :(

Peoplesoft bloke
12th August 2009, 18:18

The leaflet telling us so was available in Afghani and Somali, as well as the usual Urdu, Vietnamese, etc. Must get spending priorities right.

When I was a binman in the summer of '82 - weekly collections, we saw loadsa maggots. It's nothing new.

xoggoth
12th August 2009, 18:21
I always mean to pour bleach round the top of the bin rim when it is empty but never get round to it. Maggots are much less effort.

Cliphead
12th August 2009, 18:31
It's a 2 week collection around here as well but never had a maggot problem (Scottish weather :rolleyes:)

A bottle of bleach into the bin gets rid of the smell and a hose out from time to time keeps it all in order.

RichardCranium
12th August 2009, 19:01
The lunatics are running the asylum part 94The lunatics are taking over the asylum. The lunatics are taking over the asylum. 243 times.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum. The lunatics are taking over the asylum. 244 times.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum. The lunatics are taking over the asylum. 245 times.

Must try to think of another tune.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum. The lunatics are taking over the asylum. 246 times.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum. The lunatics are taking over the asylum. 247 times.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum. The lunatics are taking over the asylum. 248 times.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum. The lunatics are taking over the asylum. 249 times.

I can't get another tune to stick, dammit.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum. The lunatics are taking over the asylum. 250 times.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum. The lunatics are taking over the asylum. 251 times.

Expat, I hate you.

minestrone
12th August 2009, 19:06
It's a 2 week collection around here as well but never had a maggot problem (Scottish weather :rolleyes:)

Thought you stayed in East Ren? One week for me.

Anyway, if you have maggots in your bin them you either cannot tie a bin bag or let flies hang in where you keep your food.

expat
13th August 2009, 08:09
Thought you stayed in East Ren? One week for me.

Anyway, if you have maggots in your bin them you either cannot tie a bin bag or let flies hang in where you keep your food.So you are able to assure me knowledgeably that there is in reality no problem, or if there is it must be my own fault?

Have you thought of becoming a politician?

minestrone
13th August 2009, 08:34
So you are able to assure me knowledgeably that there is in reality no problem, or if there is it must be my own fault?

Have you thought of becoming a politician?

Personal resonsibility. What do you want? Someone to come round and put your food in a bag before putting it in a bin then closing the lid? that is all it needs. I bet you will be on here in the next week or so complaining about the nanny state.

If you have maggots in your bin then you are not dealing with your food correctly or you are not dealing with your refuse correctly, yet you want to make a political point about it. Jesus wept.

EternalOptimist
13th August 2009, 08:54
When I was in the army, it was well known that maggots would get into a wound, eat the dead bits and prevent gangrene setting in. For that reason, my first aid kit always contained a hanful of the wriggly little saviours.
Now that I am a lot older I still haven't forgotten the lesson and at least once a week I put a few in my undies and let them roam around, looking for bits to chew.

:rolleyes:

expat
13th August 2009, 09:00
Personal resonsibility. What do you want? Someone to come round and put your food in a bag before putting it in a bin then closing the lid? that is all it needs. I bet you will be on here in the next week or so complaining about the nanny state.

If you have maggots in your bin then you are not dealing with your food correctly or you are not dealing with your refuse correctly, yet you want to make a political point about it. Jesus wept.Actually what I want is the council to collect rubbish more often.

I could say the same things as you said, in fact I more or less did say that to my partner. I double-bagged the rubbish but there were still flies buzzing around it. Quite possibly this would not have led to maggots if they can't tunnel through plastic, but when my partner offered me the option of being really really sure about that, or researching alternative domestic arrangements, I got a heavy-duty garden rubbish bag, went scrabbling in the bin, and TRIPLE-bagged the stuff. I couldn't help thinking that I much preferred the arrangement that I had in France, where the council picked up the rubbish every day.

DimPrawn
13th August 2009, 09:05
Let me see, when did fortnightly rubbish collections get introduced, was it after 1997?

When did council tax increases top 200%?

Hmmm, let me think....

EternalOptimist
13th August 2009, 09:07
Let me see, when did fortnightly rubbish collections get introduced, was it after 1997?

Hmmm, let me think....

vote labour
vote maggot

DimPrawn
13th August 2009, 09:09
Vote Labour and have a maggot for a neighbour.

EternalOptimist
13th August 2009, 09:13
maggot maggot maggot, out out out
maggot, out
maggot , out
maggot maggot maggot, out out out

BrollyBonce
13th August 2009, 09:17
The lunatics are taking over the asylum. The lunatics are taking over the asylum.:spel the lunatics have taken over the asylum
the lunatics have taken over the asylum

HTH

ace00
13th August 2009, 09:18

Personal responsibility? Can he take Personal responsibility for his taxes too?

minestrone
13th August 2009, 09:25

Hmmm, let me think....

After everyone demanded recycling collections but nobody wanted to pay for extra binmen.

DimPrawn
13th August 2009, 09:28
After everyone demanded recycling collections but nobody wanted to pay for extra binmen.

Perhaps the 200%+ increase might have paid for it no?

Or should we increase it to 1000+% to get some services?

FFS, they let people like you have the vote. No wonder this country is on the edge of bankruptcy.

:laugh

expat
13th August 2009, 09:30
After everyone demanded recycling collections but nobody wanted to pay for extra binmen.After the government demanded recycling collections but didn't have the nerve to raise the money to pay for it.

minestrone
13th August 2009, 09:31
Perhaps the 200%+ increase might have paid for it no?

Or should we increase it to 1000+% to get some services?

FFS, they let people like you have the vote. No wonder this country is on the edge of bankruptcy.

:laugh

We are not going to have to give you another maths lesson are we dim?

EternalOptimist
13th August 2009, 09:32
and where's it all got us eh ? thats what I want to know

where's it all gotten us ?

NotAllThere
13th August 2009, 10:14
...The leaflet telling us so was available in Afghani and Somali, as well as the usual Urdu, Vietnamese, etc. Must get spending priorities right.

That reminds me, how is your Saigon contract going?

sasguru
13th August 2009, 10:47
We are not going to have to give you another maths lesson are we dim?

You can try but it never sinks in. He doesn't know that £10,000 is not a million, for example.

sasguru
13th August 2009, 10:49
Now that I am a lot older I still haven't forgotten the lesson and at least once a week I put a few in my undies and let them roam around, looking for bits to chew.

And is that why you're a eunuch now? They ate your mangy todger.

EternalOptimist
13th August 2009, 10:51
And is that why you're a eunuch now? They ate your mangy todger.

they only took the bad bits off of it. How did you get to be a mental eunuch ?

Sysman
13th August 2009, 10:58

I remember a WW II PoW story where one of the prisoners was a doctor. What little meat the prisoners were given was so foul that he recommended that they let the maggot eat it, then eat the maggots themselves. True story.

Moscow Mule
13th August 2009, 11:19
All the forward thinking councils have separate bins for food waste. Saves on shite going to landfill and you only have one stinky bin.

We do have a total of 5 bins/containers per household though...

gingerjedi
13th August 2009, 11:47
We have one green box for bottles which the grunts managed to lose between the truck and my drive and 3x green bags for garden waste that have cleverly morphed into one since yesterday.

We don't have wheelie bins so all other waste is left in black bags for the crows and ravens to rip apart, I look forward to picking up soiled nappies and cotton buds from my drive when I get home.:rolleyes:

One time I loosely tied the handles on a green bag to stop the grass cuttings from blowing away, when I got home I found the handles had been cut off.:mad

Peoplesoft bloke
13th August 2009, 12:15
vote labour
vote maggot

The usual bollocks - there were plenty of maggots when I emptied bins unde the Tories.

DimPrawn
13th August 2009, 12:23
The usual bollocks - there were plenty of maggots when I emptied bins unde the Tories.

You should have emptied the bins over the Tories.

HTH

sasguru
13th August 2009, 12:26

Wandsworth. Probably the best council in the world.

I'm not joking.

d000hg
13th August 2009, 13:53
Who can take your trash out?
Stomp it down for you?
Shake the plastic bag and do the twisty thingy too?
THE GARBAGE MAN!!
Oh the Garbage Man can
The Garbage Man can and he does it with a smile and never judges you.
Who can take this diaper?
I don't mind at all
Who can clean me up before the big policeman's ball?
THE GARBAGE MAN
yes the garbage man can
The sanitation folks are jolly friendly blokes
courteous and easy going
they mop up when your over flowing
and tell you when your arse is showing
etc...

Doggy Styles
13th August 2009, 13:58
If you had a wheelie bin chock-full of maggots, would the binmen take it away?