• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So shines a good deed in a weary world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So shines a good deed in a weary world

Lost my wallet Yesterday, thought I might have left it on my desk so when I got into work this morning and found it was not there I was fearing the worst.

150 quid wallet, only 5 pounds in it but about 400 quid in Swiss francs, Euros and US dollars not to mention about 5 cards and 200 quid worth of receipts to claim against the company.

Chased down the places I thought I might have dropped it then phoned lost and found at the station and it was there. When I picked it up everything in the wallet.

Sometimes we need to remember that there are a very many decent people in the population and they are not all Daily Mail type villains.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Lost my wallet Yesterday, thought I might have left it on my desk so when I got into work this morning and found it was not there I was fearing the worst.

150 quid wallet, only 5 pounds in it but about 400 quid in Swiss francs, Euros and US dollars not to mention about 5 cards and 200 quid worth of receipts to claim against the company.

Chased down the places I thought I might have dropped it then phoned lost and found at the station and it was there. When I picked it up everything in the wallet.

Sometimes we need to remember that there are a very many decent people in the population and they are not all Daily Mail type villains.
    Jammy f*****.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

You're lucky to get that back but... How the feck does a bit of sewn pig skin cost £150?

Do you drive a BMW?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Piglet: Tigger's all right, really.

Christopher Robin: Of course he is.

Pooh: Everybody is, really. That's what I think, though I don't suppose I'm right.

Christopher Robin: Of course you are, silly old bear!

- THE END -

I found a wallet in the street a while back and had a devil of a time persuading Plod to let me hand it in (well, the only ID in it was an address and I didn't fancy a trip out to Bethnal Green). 20 minutes getting bounced around their various departments on the phone, then had to walk 2 miles to the cop shop and sit in a queue for 45 minutes. So I hope you're grateful!

Comment

This (lost wallet returned) has happened to me before, too. I also had an expensive mobile phone and specs returned after leaving them on a train last year.

If you think about it, it's not stuff like laws, the Police, rules, forms, procedures etc that enables most of society to function normally most of the time - it's the fact that most people are decent and honest.

If you started from the point of view that everyone was bound to be up to no good we'd need a lot more Police than we could ever sensibly have.

The media loves to talk up how terrible everything is.

Comment

A friend left her bag at the station the other week, Ipod, £50 cash,cards, some expensive perfume, and other semi valuable stuff.

Handed into a police station untouched. Mind you this was not London
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

When I was about 7 I found a wallet in our street. It had about £20 in it which was much more cash than I'd ever had my paws on.

Being good, I told my Mum and she looked through it and found it belonged to a neighbour. So we headed over there and returned it.

The stingy old git didn't even say thanks.

I wish I'd kept it.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                So you're suggesting that some of the "very many decent people in the population" are Daily Mail type villains?

Seriously though, congratulations on getting your stuff back, and for posting about it here

Lord knows the assorted Jeremiahs here need the occasional reminder that the world isn't as bad a place as they like to gloat over it being

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  .. Lord knows the assorted Jeremiahs here need the occasional reminder that the world isn't as bad a place as they like to gloat over it being
                  Originally posted by Jeremiah 3, 24
                  For shame hath devoured the labour of our fathers from our youth
                  Originally posted by Jeremiah 20, 18
                  Wherefore came I forth out of the womb to see labour and sorrow
                  Hmm, I think those Jeremiahs might have a point
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

£150 wallet !!!! how the **** does a wallet ever cost 150notes?

my wallet is an unsual rip proof, waterproof air mail envelope style wallet

It's great as everyone at first glance thinks Im so poor I hold all my money in an envelope, once, an old women in the post office saw it and showed me that she also kept all her stuff in an envelope too, hers was a real airmail envelope
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X