• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Embassies plead 'big issues only'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embassies plead 'big issues only'

British embassies around the world are getting "frustrated" by travellers wanting weather reports and advice on how to deal with unruly children.

Consular staff have also been asked to help make jam, pack suitcases and find lost sunglasses.

A woman unhappy with the size of her newly-enlarged breasts and a man in search of shoes also sought help.

The Foreign Office says British embassies are there "to help Britons in real difficulty abroad".

Other inquiries include:
    • A mother asked the consulate in Florida to help her teenage son pack his case and give him a lift to the airport as he was feeling under the weather.
    • A traveller wanted the high commission in Zambia to phone his workplace to explain he would not be in because he was unable to get a flight.
    • A holidaymaker visiting Italy wondered where they could purchase a particular pair of shoes.
    • One caller asked: "I'm making jam - what ratio of fruit to sugar shall I use?".

Story Here

Do any of the esteemed members have similar stories of unusual requests from the public ?

I worked once on an IT Helpdesk, and we had a called asking about the time for trains from Exeter to London. Even more bizarre was the fact that the caller was not from within the company, but had seen our helpdesk number in one of our satellite offices on the wall through a glass window that was visible from the street.

More recently, a member of the public went in to A&E with a carton of milk, because it was 1 day past its use by date, and although they had not consumed it, they were thinking of drinking it, and wondered if it would be ok.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    a member of the public went in to A&E with a carton of milk, because it was 1 day past its use by date, and although they had not consumed it, they were thinking of drinking it, and wondered if it would be ok.
    wtf

if they were prepared to goto the A&E, why didnt they simply buy a new pint of milk ?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I remember I guy ringing the DCSA (Defence Communication Support Agency) helpdesk when his laptop wouldn't boot, he said didn’t get it from new but would like some support as it appeared to be dead. When asked for the asset tag it became apparent that it was listed as stolen.

If you’re going to steal MoD equipment and sell it down the pub please remove the stickers.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I had to use the embassy last year on holiday in Turkey when I knocked some clown off his moped. I was waiting for a break in the traffic so that I could cut accross and park. I was indicating at the time and I was driving a 12 seater minibus, so not exactly hard to spot. As I started to turn into the parking space this pillock tried to overtake me, rather than passing safely on the other side, he bounced off the front wing. I had to deal with the local coppers who were a joke and who gave me the run around in terms of getting my driving license and passport back. After wasting 2 days they eventually gave me my driving license back but claimed they couldn't find my passport. One call from the embassy and this sweaty copper came running out with it about 2 mins later.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          I had to use the embassy last year on holiday in Turkey when I knocked some clown off his moped. I was waiting for a break in the traffic so that I could cut accross and park. I was indicating at the time and I was driving a 12 seater minibus, so not exactly hard to spot. As I started to turn into the parking space this pillock tried to overtake me, rather than passing safely on the other side, he bounced off the front wing. I had to deal with the local coppers who were a joke and who gave me the run around in terms of getting my driving license and passport back. After wasting 2 days they eventually gave me my driving license back but claimed they couldn't find my passport. One call from the embassy and this sweaty copper came running out with it about 2 mins later.
          Serves you right for going to a 3rd world country like Turkey.

Comment

I used to work in a book shop, someone once asked for a pound of mince.

Comment

True Story…

Friend of mine was the manager of the support call centre of the first ISP to be set up in Saudi Arabia – about 10 years ago…
              One day they got a call from a Saudi chap who was complaining that he had paid all the fees and his internet wasn’t working.
              After a few mins, it transpired that the guy didn’t actually own a PC and thought the “internet would be on his TV”.

Comment

When I left uni I got a job on the Helpdesk at Shell in Aberdeen. We had a guy ring up complaining that his phone line in his lounge was worn and wanted it replacing while he and his wife were about to decorate. I tried many times during the call to stop him but he was starting to get @rsey - so I played along.

So you want me to get one of our engineers out to your house to fix your phone? I'm sorry I can't do that.

Then let him rant on for a bit longer.

No Sir I appreciate that you pay your bill etc but I will not be sending out one of our engineers. Eventually I had to explain that Shell Expro don't send their engineers to fix BT phone faults
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

One of our users requested a password reset, which we did, and it contained the letter 'f'. To which they replied :

This password does not work for me as I don't have the "f "on my keyboard. Please set it to alphanumeric only. Please do not include special characters.
                  Thanks

Rhubarb.

Comment

Originally posted by sal626 View Post
                    Friend of mine was the manager of the support call centre of the first ISP to be set up in Saudi Arabia – about 10 years ago…
                    One day they got a call from a Saudi chap who was complaining that he had paid all the fees and his internet wasn’t working.
                    After a few mins, it transpired that the guy didn’t actually own a PC and thought the “internet would be on his TV”.
                    Well in all fairness to him, about 10 years ago not only were most people clueless abotu the internet but also it was when WebTV was around, this was not watching internet TV programs on your PC but accessing the web on your TV.

Thank god it died a death, designing/coding to support their browser was a nightmare

Comment

Working...
                    X