• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LCD TV as PC Monitor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD TV as PC Monitor

looking to get a 32" LCD HD Ready TV to use as a monitor ,
    question is this size good to use as a monitor or should I go for the 26"
    also does the contrast ratio have to be a certain size to use with a pc.

also I want to put this as an expense since it will be used for
    'work' purposes is there a screen size limit which HMRC will not allow
    or it looks too dodgy for dual use?

appreciate any useful answers as well as the normal cuk banter.

HDReady = 1388 x 768 (or thereabouts), which is a pretty poor resolution by today's standards.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      HDReady = 1388 x 768 (or thereabouts), which is a pretty poor resolution by today's standards.
      Get a 1080 one or it will look rubbish
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Firstly, does your PC support the maximum resolution supported by your telly? If not, it's going to look tulipe.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Get a Sony XEL-1 for a good picture
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Also, you want a PC/laptop with an HDMI output, otherwise the TV will scale the signal.

Comment

I do this but not in a serious way (laptop connected to telly for watching AVI content, also for iTunes).

I could only get the telly to sync at 800x600 while the 1280x?? it says it supports doesn't sync properly.

If I was serious about using the telly as a monitor, I would have checked the specs very carefully to ensure that the "PC In" supported the resolution I wanted.

And the clarity (sharpness) isn't perfect either.

I'd suggest try-before-you-buy

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
                also I want to put this as an expense since it will be used for
                'work' purposes is there a screen size limit which HMRC will not allow
                or it looks too dodgy for dual use?

appreciate any useful answers as well as the normal cuk banter.

can you get this as a legit expense ?

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                  can you get this as a legit expense ?
                  No. It will fail the "wholly and exclusively" test since it clearly has a secondary, personal use. It is also a long way from being the best solution to his "problem", technically. So HisCo can buy it, but he'll have to declare it as a BIK.

The extent to which people continue to confuse Company and Personal expenditure is something of a joke. One that Hector doesn't find funny. Ho hum...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    No. It will fail the "wholly and exclusively" test since it clearly has a secondary, personal use.
                    Just say you are an MP and the "wholly and exclusively" does apply apparently.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X