• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Forget burnout, boreout is the new office disease

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you irritable when you return from work? Drained of emotion? You could be suffering from boreout
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle2456531.ece

I love the Cosmo type quiz at the end:

If you say “yes” to four or more of these, you could have boreout .
    So is ten out of ten bad then?

1 Do you complete private tasks at work?
    Yes
    2 Do you feel underchallenged or bored?
    Yes
    3 Do you sometimes pretend to be busy?
    Yes
    4 Are you tired and apathetic after work even though you experienced no stress in the office?
    Yes
    5 Are you unhappy with your work?
    Yes
    6 Do you find your work meaningless?
    It's not meaningless, saves client a lot of money but i personally could not give a toss about it
    7 Could you complete your work quicker than you are doing?
    Yes
    8 Are you afraid of changing your job because you might take a salary cut?
    If i went lower than my current rate i would just jack it in and go join some charity in Timbuktu, it's bearly worth the crap as is
    9 Do you send private e-mails to colleagues during working hours?
    Colleagues, god no
    Friends, yes

10 Do you have little or no interest in your work?
    Yes

Woot, i am suffering from boreout and burnout...but damn known that for quite a while, only thing that keeps me going is my complusion to do what i am paid for, otherwise would really start taking the mickey

Would give my right arm for an interesting, challangeing , fun place to be contract that pays well *sigh*oh well only 6 to 8 more months of this to go

Comment

Where I were a lad, job satisfaction and all that cobblers was for lefty wishy-washy liberals who like to "talk" about "deriving a sense of worth..blah blah blah"

The rest of us realised that you turn up, do a job, go home and forget about it.

Things may have changed since there, but fundamentally, the above is still true.

Most of us do jobs that are pretty pointless, and the world would still exist and turn even if those jobs didn't exist.

The problem is people can over-analyse their jobs and convince themselves that they are somehow unhappier than they should be, hence job angst.

Does the toilet cleaner expect a fanfare from choirs of fekking angels every time he or she Harpics a U-bend ?

Does the Mcdonald's part-time student expect more than just a polite thank you for handing you a tray with a Big Mac (tm) , regular fries and a strawberry milkshake ? Should Ronald McFekkingDonald burst in to the Restaurant (and I use that term very loosely) with a 24 carat "M" chain and reverently place it over the head of young Dwayne ?

Does a coder expect the whole office to stop in aghast silence and eternal gratitude when a runtime compiles successfully ?

Does a pilot expect waves of crying passengers to hug him for a normal landing (as opposed to a crash landing when everyone survived).

Jobs are just jobs.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

"...said {name redacted to avoid passing googlejuice}, the co-author of a management book..."

Another bit of advertising puffery masquerading as news in a Murdoch newspaper.

Why am I not surprised? And why do I strongly suspect that the book is published by a firm owned by Murdoch?

Nothing to see here, move along...

Comment

You missed a bit, bob:
          From The Times
          September 15, 2007

Are your masters at Murdoch's outfit about to publish the paperback?

Comment

10/10 here.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
              1 Do you complete private tasks at work?
              Yes
              2 Do you feel underchallenged or bored?
              Yes
              3 Do you sometimes pretend to be busy?
              Yes
              4 Are you tired and apathetic after work even though you experienced no stress in the office?
              Yes
              5 Are you unhappy with your work?
              Yes
              6 Do you find your work meaningless?
              It's not meaningless, saves client a lot of money but i personally could not give a toss about it
              7 Could you complete your work quicker than you are doing?
              Yes
              8 Are you afraid of changing your job because you might take a salary cut?
              If i went lower than my current rate i would just jack it in and go join some charity in Timbuktu, it's bearly worth the crap as is
              9 Do you send private e-mails to colleagues during working hours?
              Colleagues, god no
              Friends, yes

10 Do you have little or no interest in your work?
              Yes

Woot, i am suffering from boreout and burnout...but damn known that for quite a while, only thing that keeps me going is my complusion to do what i am paid for, otherwise would really start taking the mickey

Would give my right arm for an interesting, challangeing , fun place to be contract that pays well *sigh*oh well only 6 to 8 more months of this to go
              You are saving up for a handgun and still needs to work for 6 to 8 months before you have enough savings?

May I suggest you rent one. It is far cheaper. And after proper use you don't really need it anymore.

HTH
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

10 out of 10?
                I'm so bored I got 11
                Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  You missed a bit, bob:
                  From The Times
                  September 15, 2007

Are your masters at Murdoch's outfit about to publish the paperback?
                  The article that I read/saw, the original report was in German. I figured it wouldn't be so palatable, so put in the first English language result from Google.

I still think it's funny that they've dreamt up a catchphrase for what we've all long suspected.

Comment

I love my job - I answered yes to a few though (could do it quicker, do private tasks at work, email mates, etc) but as for the technical stuff I do...that never bores me! I love it!

I'd seriously do my job in my spare time for free!!

However, I was a civil servant for the first 7 years of my career, and I would have answered 10 of them as yes. I used to cry on the way in and out of work sometimes, and often in the toilets during the day. I was bored out of my mind, and constantly so emotionally drained from doing nothing.
                    God I STILL get shivvers from it.
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X