• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract or perm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract or perm?

i have been contracting for the past 2 yrs doing reasonably well...

i have just taken a (longish) break and on returning have found that most of the corporate, high profile contracts in my niche, have been moved really into more perm type positions on salaries ranging from £40-60k not bad i guess..

contract wise, the bottom has fallen out, and they are more low level admin jobs working for local goverment types, or local businesses going for £20ph ...

now, the perm jobs are right up my street in terms of my experience to date, however im a stubborn bastard, with a chip on my shoulder when it comes to working for big corporates who want YOUR LIFE and YOUR SOUL...

the angel says, think aboyut your career and your age, go settle down, buy a house, get a stready life...

the devil says - **** em all, contract for yourself, work for yourself, dont give in to these corporate, blood sucking, capitalist, live life, keep travelling and enjoying yourself!

ahem...

so im kinda in a predicament..

Originally posted by el duder

i the devil says - **** em all, contract for yourself, work for yourself, dont give in to these corporate, blood sucking, capitalist, live life, keep travelling and enjoying yourself!

ahem...

so im kinda in a predicament..

The Devil has all the best tunes !

Comment

so many of the same questions, time and time again, can't we just keep this to sexist banter and pi$$ taking.....should have a rule Mods please.....if someone asks dumb arse question that has been asked in the past week ban them, or publish thier email address...
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
        so many of the same questions, time and time again, can't we just keep this to sexist banter and pi$$ taking.....should have a rule Mods please.....if someone asks dumb arse question that has been asked in the past week ban them, or publish thier email address...

I for one would miss the sensible and free advise that the wise sage's of this green and pleasant Web site have to offer. however if I have to read another doom and gloom "House Prices down 3%" "Green Party win landslide victory" or "Alex Ferguson apologises for living in Manc land" I will wet myself

Comment

If you have to ask that question then you're a permie at heart!!

Fleece them, fleece them then fleece them again til their eyes bleed!!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I would rather have my eyes plucked from my head with rusty spoons than go permie.

Anyone who even considers it is a loser.

In .NET it's name your price and pick your contract, choose your office, select your PA, and kerrrrrrrrrrrr ching, can't spend it quick enough.

Which was nice.

Comment

... have been moved really into more perm type positions on salaries ranging from £40-60k...contract wise, the bottom has fallen out, and they are more low level admin jobs working for local goverment types, or local businesses going for £20ph ...
              Permie: £40-60k Per annum
              Contractor: £30 to £35k per annum (and if under IR35 just over half that NET)

Either go permie or change skills, common sence really.

Comment

go permi...please.....stay away from the contract market.....

Guys - the more people that go permi the higher our rates will go.....
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
                  go permi...please.....stay away from the contract market.....

Guys - the more people that go permi the higher our rates will go.....
                  good point from now on when anyone asks should they go permie or contract we should all say PERMIE, it will lower the amount of people in the pack and therefore you won't get fools undercutting rates making it hard for the rest of us

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
                    good point from now on when anyone asks should they go permie or contract we should all say PERMIE, it will lower the amount of people in the pack and therefore you won't get fools undercutting rates making it hard for the rest of us
                    I dare to disagree with this easy analysis. The abundance of permies is certainly one factor which brings down contracting rate, especially if the permie are highly skilled and are worth as much as a permie. Indeed, the availability of lowly skillled contractors like Milan, will also bring down rates as the principle of the bad apple spoling the whole basket. To us non religious nutters, the only thing we care is money long term, contract/perm doesn't make any sense at all, we are all in a contract, whether short or long term. If you get what you are worth? oh well,that's up to you to understand.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X