• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone here experienced this from avast av?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here experienced this from avast av?

The last few days my machine (Win XP SP3) has shown this warning from avast! when the desktop first loads following booting.

Email related warning from avast!

When I check my email client (Thunderbird) there are no emails to send. If it has any relevance I have mailwasher pro installed, but this has been trouble free for maybe 5 years now and AFAIK only looks at incoming messages. avast! seems to be complaining about outbound messages here.

I have scoured the manual for avast! and searched the web but can't find any really good answers though there are a lot of instances of these messages happening. The best I found was "switch off the avast! SMTP scanner". I thought my machine may have been hijacked into sending SPAM messages but a full scan by avast, a squared, superantispyware and advanced system care 3 all fail to find anything wrong.

Any ideas what to do next folks?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

No help really but I have a similar setup with no problem:

Windows XP SP3, Thunderbird for email, avast! version 4.8 Home Edition, last rebooted about an hour ago, no such messages.

However, that message you show looks like it refers to in incoming email. Is Avast! complaining because you are receiving lots of rejected emails because someone has used your email address in their spamming?

(That would be a weird thing for Avast! to even bother checking for.)
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      No help really but I have a similar setup with no problem:

Windows XP SP3, Thunderbird for email, avast! version 4.8 Home Edition, last rebooted about an hour ago, no such messages.

However, that message you show looks like it refers to in incoming email. Is Avast! complaining because you are receiving lots of rejected emails because someone has used your email address in their spamming?

(That would be a weird thing for Avast! to even bother checking for.)
      Thanks RC, you're of course correct, avast! is flagging up incoming mail. The reason I'm not seeing them is that mailwasher pro is hiding them from me, then deleting them. Thanks for the heads up, nothing to worry about now. avast! continues to impress me, for free software it is very effective it seems.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
      X