• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PGC membership through company ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PGC membership through company ?

Just renewed membership to the PCG. Fellow contractor advises not to put the invoice through the ltd company.

Anyone beg to differ ? Personaly I don't see an issue, but look forward to being corrected.

LL

Originally posted by Lazylobster View Post
    Just renewed membership to the PCG. Fellow contractor advises not to put the invoice through the ltd company.

Anyone beg to differ ? Personaly I don't see an issue, but look forward to being corrected.

LL
    Is it in the company name, or in your name?
    Is it necessary in order for the company to be able to do business?

Comment

The PCG is not on HMRC's list of bodies for which you can claim membership as expenses.

Link.
      Last edited by RichardCranium; 15 August 2009, 11:38. Reason: It took ages to find the link.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Sorry, this is a common misunderstanding.

PCG's stance is that the memberhsip is necessary for purely business reasons. Therefore the expense is wholly and exclusively for business purposes and so does not attract a BIK.

However, PCG refuses to put itself forward to HMRC for registration as a Professional Organisation, not becuase we aren't but because we collectively don't really want to hand over a list of 18,500 potential targets for Hector's bully boys to work on. That means membership is not allowable as a Professional Business expense, so you cannot offset it against Corporation Task.

All very silly but them's the rules, and there's a long and complex explanation a to the legal background if anyone is really sad enough to want to read it.

End result - valid non-BIK business expense for you as a person, not allowable against CT for YourCo.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Agree with M again. There is a list of organisations whose fees you can claim and if it 'aint on the list... Somewhere on HMRC site it also says that tax investigation insurance is not allowable.

Whether they would bother to challenge a small amount like that I am not sure even assuming they find out. In my experience, investigations are looking for major categories of tax avoidance, they don't have time to inspect every single little entry in the books and query every receipt.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 15 August 2009, 18:32.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            However, PCG refuses to put itself forward to HMRC for registration as a Professional Organisation, not becuase we aren't but because we collectively don't really want to hand over a list of 18,500 potential targets for Hector's bully boys to work on. That means membership is not allowable as a Professional Business expense, so you cannot offset it against Corporation Task.

All very silly but them's the rules, and there's a long and complex explanation a to the legal background if anyone is really sad enough to want to read it.
            Applicable to this particular subject, but thinking laterally...

Isn't it all gradually becoming an out and out war between the public and private sectors?
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

End result - valid non-BIK business expense for you as a person, not allowable against CT for YourCo.
              I got my incorrect advice from previous PCG-approved accountant who removed the PCG renewal fee from my expenses claim.

That was one of the reasons I stopped renewing my membership.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                I got my incorrect advice from previous PCG-approved accountant who removed the PCG renewal fee from my expenses claim.

That was one of the reasons I stopped renewing my membership.
                Time to come back on board then...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Time to come back on board then...
                  I am one of those very disillusioned ex-PCGers who does not consider membership to be of value.

I now spend the membership fee on champagne for myself these days, rather than have them spend it on champagne for their 10th birthday party.

Comment

So you don't realise how much they have changed and what they have acheived. Fine, no problem. Your loss...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X