• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone worked at socgen/BNPParibas here before??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone worked at socgen/BNPParibas here before??

Just got a contract offer from both of these guys and cannot really decide

Has anyone here worked for them before?

Were they a good bunch>?

Their trading floors tend to get a bit wiffy towards the end of the week. They are French after all.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMcadden1 View Post

Were they a good bunch>?
      Take both and invoke the subs clause (if one exist). That way you can earn money on both. HTH
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMcadden1 View Post

Were they a good bunch>?
        Socgen.

Hated it.

French management technique is very different to what you may be used too ...

Very hands on, and micromanagemet. I had team meetings, plus one on ones every week ... did my 6 months and gtf outta there.

Plus they're very slow moving, in investment banking terms, actually any terms. Stuffy comes to mind.

And funnily enough, I used to like the French, until I spent time working with them. Unfortunately a lot fo the stereotypes are based on actual characteritics.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I failed an interview at BNP Paribas once. I really impressed the technical people, but I didn't get on with the French manager who insisted on going over all the technical stuff his staff had already been through with me (as if he didn't trust them). Funny bunch, and in a way I'm glad I didn't get the gig.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

BIL works for BNPP - says its an ok place but you gota get used to the way they do things and if they dont like the look of ya theyll get rid - simple as.

Comment

I interviewed for a contract with SocGen about 2 years ago.
              The manager was some sort of arrogant muppet who clearly only recently arrived from Paris and did not have a clue what the difference between a contractor and an employee is.
              Contracting work is not nearly as common in Paris than in London, that must be why.

Anyway I'd go go BNPParibas if I were you as they appear to be more adapted to the anglo-saxon ways of working. (Based on what friends told me)

Comment

Sorry for reviving an old thread. I have landed an interview with BNP Parabas. Any new views of them?
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I can't believe you're considering working for the BNP.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Immediately prior to going contracting in 2007, I was lined up for a
                    3RD interview for a perm role at BNP Paribas. Nothing at interview put me off the company, just that someone else offered a contract quicker.

Sorry no view on SocGen.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X