• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sudoku Query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudoku Query

It is okay to guess where numbers go if you are unsure, or is the game etiquette to work out where they go without guessing ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    It is okay to guess where numbers go if you are unsure, or is the game etiquette to work out where they go without guessing ?
    They are logic problems so you should not need to guess (unless you are in the world championships or similar). If there are two/three possibilites write them in very small and eliminate later.

Hope you haven't been worrying about this all day
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Never guess.

Never write on the page.

HTH
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Isn't there an I-phone app that lets you take a photo of the grid and then solves it for you?

Just think of all the things you could do with your life if you didn't have to bother with the sudoku.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          Never write on the page.
          A chap once watched me in a pub looking at a crossword for several minutes, then offered me a pen. I explained that I found it more fun to do it in my head.

He expressed disbelief, and continued to watch me. About a minute later I completed it and threw the paper down, whereupon he asked in a sarcastic tone if I'd given up.

Taking out my own pen, I proceeded to fill the entire grid in as he watched. What's more, rather than filling in each individual word, I went across the rows. Then I handed it to him so he could check that it was, indeed, correctly completed.

He seemed rather taken aback

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            A chap once watched me in a pub looking at a crossword for several minutes, then offered me a pen. I explained that I found it more fun to do it in my head.

He expressed disbelief, and continued to watch me. About a minute later I completed it and threw the paper down, whereupon he asked in a sarcastic tone if I'd given up.

Taking out my own pen, I proceeded to fill the entire grid in as he watched. What's more, rather than filling in each individual word, I went across the rows. Then I handed it to him so he could check that it was, indeed, correctly completed.

Meh. Would have been more impressed if you hadn't needed to fill it in at all
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

crosswords, at least good ones, are a proper challenge. Sudoku is like painting with numbers.

Comment

I've got a little application on my PDA that generates sudoku puzzles called Superdoku, it's very enjoyable on the harder levels.

I don't see sudoku as terrifically challenging it's just a nice mental diversion which is probably what it's designed for.

Good fun as a personal entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  Meh. Would have been more impressed if you hadn't needed to fill it in at all
                  Oh great, now I'm supposed to read the damn thing out to him?

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    They are logic problems so you should not need to guess (unless you are in the world championships or similar). If there are two/three possibilites write them in very small and eliminate later.

Hope you haven't been worrying about this all day
                    He yes, and whether Ramps or Key will be given the nod on Thursday ahead of Bell

Comment

Working...
                    X