• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Avoiding French Rolls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoiding French Rolls

I know the French bang on about their baguettes and other pastry produce, but has anyone ever actually had a decent French Roll ? (cue jokes about mademoiselles and haylofts)

I had one many years ago in a service station in France and it was dire.

I dipped it in to my bowl of breakfast chocolate and stunningly that made it even worse.

Note : I did not lick the bowl afterwards and put it back. I'm not that sort of laddie.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I know the French bang on about their baguettes and other pastry produce, but has anyone ever actually had a decent French Roll ? (cue jokes about mademoiselles and haylofts)

I had one many years ago in a service station in France and it was dire.

I dipped it in to my bowl of breakfast chocolate and stunningly that made it even worse.

Note : I did not lick the bowl afterwards and put it back. I'm not that sort of laddie.
    It was possibly not a Michelin 3* service station?

In France we usually buy food from butchers, bakers or grocers, not service stations, local kebabs or over the phone.
    Last edited by Le Rosbif; 18 August 2009, 06:59.

Comment

On my last gig I worked with a consultant from Paris. Every Monday morning he would bring in fresh(ish) bakery produce from Paris (via Eurostar).

Very nice indeed.

Comment

LRB posted : It was possibly not a Michelin 3* service station?
        I dunno. I was 14 at the time and on a school trip. We pulled in along with tons of other coaches.

I do remember buying a giant Kinder Egg, which where not available in the UK at the time. It had a colossal "build your own mechanical toy".

I think it was a time machine or something.

I gave it to one of the other kids* in return for a pork pie.

* possibly threaded ?
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Ooops...previous post went a bit wobbly when posting in IE 8.

LRB posted : It was possibly not a Michelin 3* service station?
          I dunno. I was 14 at the time and on a school trip. We pulled in along with tons of other coaches.

I do remember buying a giant Kinder Egg, which where not available in the UK at the time. It had a colossal "build your own mechanical toy".

I think it was a time machine or something.

(That was the days when Kinder toys were actually really good and inventive. All you get nowadays are stupid football cartoon models that don't actually do anything. Bit like the real thing, really)

I gave it to one of the other kids* in return for a pork pie.

* possibly threaded ?

Oh blast..I've gone off topic...sorry.

Back to topic...I was led to believe that all French eating places were the epitome of food chic and taste. Not the service stations, obviously.
          Last edited by Board Game Geek; 18 August 2009, 07:40.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Ham and cheese is the agreed standard Trans-Euro sandwich, any deviation is frowned upon by the EU stasi.

HTH
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Ham and cheese is the agreed standard Trans-Euro sandwich, any deviation is frowned upon by the EU stasi.
              The perfect buffet sarni. (I.e., meat and no bloody salad)
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

HTH
                That's not entirely fair. Usually you have a choice of jambon et fromage, or fromage et jambon.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  That's not entirely fair. Usually you have a choice of jambon et fromage, or fromage et jambon.
                  Gotta be better than the London Underground's standard jammedon et frottage.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    Gotta be better than the London Underground's standard jammedon et frottage.
                    very good

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X