• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling software internally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling software internally

Hi all,

I know most of you are cantankerous techies with people skills being largely absent but nevertheless, as usual, any feedback would be welcome.

I have been tasked with presenting a web software application, on which I am lead developer, to the CEO and Sales director.

I have done a power point (No sniggers) presentation with a VERY highlevel overview of the architecture, development environment which is integrated with a demonstration of the software on from the development site.

Other than ensuring that what I say we have works, any pearls of wisdom for communicating at boardroom level from the anybody here who at least has greying temples?
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Don't talk about architecture or how it works, they only want to hear how it is going to improve their bonus or dividend.

HTH

Comment

Yep, focus on the bird with the big bakery goods. It will keep you focused!!!!!
      "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Don't talk about architecture or how it works, they only want to hear how it is going to improve their bonus or dividend.

HTH
        WHS. Remove ALL techie stuff completely (or have it in maximum one slide in an appendix). In the rest of the presentation say what it does in simple language and how it impacts the bottom line - either saves money or generates it. If it doesn't do either you've been wasting your time.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

In order to get past the awe of their mighty presence, try to imagine what they all look like when they are sitting on the bog. Once that image has settled in your mind say, 'i think I will join you' and let rip a mighty fart.

The rest will be easy

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
            a VERY highlevel overview of the architecture, development environment which is integrated with a demonstration of the software on from the development site.
            They (usually) won't want to know about the technical architecture, it won't mean anything to them. Appendix it.

1) Why did we do this?
            2) What was the business case?
            3) How did we go about it?
            4) When will it start to make us/save us more money?

If you can give a simple demo, where each part of the demo supports the 'money/time' argument - and as an added benefit, any differentiators (first in market to do this etc) - then that would help.

Get a secretary/the receptionist/someone completely non-technical to give it the once over - change anything they don't understand so that they do, apart from the obvious management BS, of course.

If you won't be able to answer random business-related questions - make sure someone is in there with you that can.

Comment

tell them you have already saved the compeny a huuuge amount because you got some little part at a discount.

Maybe they will give you a bonus right there and then.
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                tell them you have already saved the compeny a huuuge amount because you got some little part at a discount.

Maybe they will give you a bonus right there and then.
                No they won't; they'll just raise their own expectations and say you have to do the same thing every three months.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                X