• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's next?

What technologies are going to make today's skills redundant? Something related to mobile or cloud computing, web services, or further moves in to bolt-connecting or use of packages/templates rather than technical know-how of actually creating bolts. Or are some recent revolutions (e.g. OOP/OOA) pretty much it with not much scope for a major revolution. What about object oriented Db's?

p.s. it will be regarded as cheating if you reply to this thread in 10 years time, interesting though it will be to hear from you.

Comment

learning-replicating-self-aware-neural-networks-living-in-the-sky

they will do all your work

DOOMED!!!
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        p.s. it will be regarded as cheating if you reply to this thread in 10 years time, interesting though it will be to hear from you.
        <placeholder>
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I couldn't care less.

As long as my gravy train lasts another few years.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I couldn't care less.

As long as my gravy train lasts another few years.
            Yeah, in just another few years you'll reach the end of the rainbow...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Yeah, in just another few years you'll reach the end of the rainbow...
              In a few years I'll be wealthy enough not to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                In a few years I'll be wealthy enough not to worry about it.
                Wealthy enough for what? To buy a bigger house, yacht or (smaller) wife?

Comment

Don't see too much on the horizon apart from more hype like ESBs and SOA and the link, most of which is about vendors making £££ (or $$$).

One thing I would like to see is a language with first class support for concurrency. It's a bit of an afterthought in Java and C#, and even a non-thought in other languages.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    One thing I would like to see is a language with first class support for concurrency.
                    You'll have to go back 25 years, I'm afraid, not forward 10. Real programming on real hardware with real operating systems started to die when the PC was born.

There's a fading ghost part of my brain that knows all about genuine multi-processor, multi-threaded programming and file systems that are designed for it.
                    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X