• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scrappage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrappage

If the government giving away tax payers money to people upgrading to newer cars is such a good idea, I'd like to see:

Scrappage for old motorbikes, kitchen appliances, TV's, carpets, lawnmowers, hairdryers, computer games, consoles, mobile phones, bicycles, wall paper, out of fashion clothes, shoes, furniture, last season's hairstyles etc.

I mean, lets all have new stuff now and add the cost to the public debt for our children to pay off.

Simples.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If the government giving away tax payers' money to people upgrading to newer cars is such a good idea...
    You've completely missed that point.

Their INTENTION was to give taxpayers' money to American, German, French and Japanese car manufacturers in exchange for non-executive Directorships so they can have a hefty income when they get voted out.

Their EFFECT is to stop car dealers offering discounts and instead charge list price, take your old car for free and give you £2k of taxpayers' money. The car dealers are having to spend a fortune on underwear, trousers and shoes wrecked from pissing themselves laughing all the way to the bank.

(It's OK. I know you're being sarcastic really. I'm just joining in.)
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Roll up, roll up .. get your 'Cash for Clunkers' here ... apply now and in 10 years, when your new car is scrapped, all those new materials mean you can do far greater damage then the current crop of recycled metal.
      to say nothing of the benefits of producing most of them in the third world, where there's far fewer standards and controls to inflate the costs.

All these 'jumping on the green bandwagon / global warming' taxation schemes are really getting on my nerves.
      The close proximity of the letters 'G' and 'T' are the reason I'll never again send an important email and end it with "Regards" ....

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        Their EFFECT is to stop car dealers offering discounts and instead charge list price, take your old car for free and give you £2k of taxpayers' money. The car dealers are having to spend a fortune on underwear, trousers and shoes wrecked from pissing themselves laughing all the way to the bank.
        It's 1K of taxpayers money and 1K of the car manufacturers so the foreign car manufacturers have just put their list price up by at least 2K.

Simples.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'd like a new kettle but I'm not sure it is the recession that is stopping me buying one. I just can't be arsed.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Coincidentally I've just seen a telly advert for the next generation Prius.

What's the true environmental cost of those batteries?
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Coincidentally I've just seen a telly advert for the next generation Prius.

What's the true environmental cost of those batteries?
              Weeeeelll, if you are going to use fossil fuels to regenerate the electricity...

I am very pro-nuclear and have been for 30 years. If the energy comes from nuclear energy, it's a green bargain. Otherwise, burn the car and use it to warm your home.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
              X