• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to dump computers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to dump computers?

I have a very old laptop and a very old desktop PC, both of which have completely given up the ghost and don't work any more. I had just dumped them in my shed but I want to get rid of them completely now. I checked the council website and Google and all they say is to give old PCs to charities because they can find a use for them.

Thing is, these ones are, I'm sure, useless. I even took the laptop to the computer shop to try and recover some old files and they sent it away and came back later to say it would cost something like 300 quid to recover anything. A second shop I tried said they couldn't get anything off the machine at all.

Basically, I want to dump both machines but obviously make sure they are wiped of any personal data (if that is even possible?) and do it in a legal way. Any ideas?

smash the harddrives with a hammer untill you get to the rotating plate - then smash that with a hammer untill it is a fine powder.

You can then chuck away the powder - or snort it if you are so inclined - and chuck the rest of the pc-bits (get the pun?) in the trash can - then ask your mother to take out the trash.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Remove the hard drives and take the rest to the local council run recycling centre.

Google for a list of amusing ways to trash the drives.

Comment

That sounds good. Cheers!

Comment

If you can access the hard drive or still boot the pc then use Kill Disk to wipe the information off,
          alternatively send the pc/laptop to computeraid, but I would personally make sure the disk and data has been wiped securely
          before sending it anywhere.

Comment

I'd wipe the disk...or if you're really paranoid, keep it. and give the machine to a local charity. We have one charity here that's constantly asking for old machines. Shoot...the machine I have that runs DOVECOT, DHCP, DNS, RAID, Samba et al is a machine I bought from a charity!
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I drill through the case, platens and chassis in two places with a 5mm bit.

Recover the data from that!
              Last edited by bogeyman; 20 August 2009, 18:29.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

WTS on destroying the hard drives. A lot of recycled computers end up in Africa.

Or maybe just Chavland
                Last edited by Sysman; 20 August 2009, 18:47.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

You could drop your laptop off to your nearest O2 shop who will ensure it is recycled - details.

Comment

Got rid of a couple of ancient PCs out of the attic last week. Those hard disc drives sure are tough, take a lot of bashing.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X