• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Psion and Symbian winge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psion and Symbian winge

Okay so this thread might get puilled ... but ... time for a disgruntled Psion (pronounced Piss-on) and Symbian survivers wingefest ...

10 years ago I worked for Psion for 2 years when I was young and naive and a nastier group of people I've never met. The directors thought they owned the company - cos they did - and treated staff like dirt. Abuse was commonplace. Physical intimidation (being pushed out of the way) was not unknown. Bullying was commonplace. Colleagues were so competitive they wouldn't give you the time of day. Salary was poor. Why did anyone stay? In my experience the directors were downright nasty and created a cult of personality around themselves, with staff expected to worship them, and God help those who didn't.

Well recently I've met an ex-Symbian employee and an ex-Psion/Symbian employee. According to one Psion had a paranoid and unfriendly atmosphere with rudeness the norm. Basically a horrible place. The managers put up signs saying "Treat others as you would yourselves" because the atmosphere was so bad. According to the other Symbian was unfriendly though not hostile, with no career progression, and no prospects, due to being given little bits of self contained work using proprietary technology. People routinely left due to the lack of a career. Even Indian contractors left! Apparently all the senior developers left to go to Microsoft. (Presumably offered high salaries to try and kill off Symbian?)

Anyone worked at Psion/Symbian? How can a company care so little about the staff welfare and careers? Haven't they woken up to reality.

It sounds like a cliche, but provide interesting careers and respect people, and they'll stay and do good work. Piss on 'em, and they'll flee.

Fungus.

inept management - a bit like child abuse is a common problem in many companies.

The staff are an easy target, easlily abused and cannot defend themselves.

Unfortunately, there are very few checks and balances to control the management ranks and they can get away with murder.

10% of senior management are psychopaths (according to Sunday Times)

Unfortunately, many managers are people who have risen above their level of incompetence, but because of their position and power (or life-long bullying skills) they can get away with it.

The downfall of many a great Company and the destroyer of some very competent peoples lives?

In environments with a high contractor population the situation can be even worse as Contractors have zero rights and can be further exploited.
    Last edited by ancient; 9 November 2005, 21:28.

Comment

Unfortunately, there are very few checks and balances to control the management ranks and they can get away with murder.
      Yes, where I once worked the top brass were putting people into concrete overcoats, burying them in shallow graves, that sort of thing.

That's the last time I do a contract for MI5.

Comment

Every company ive ever worked for......
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by ancient
          inept management - a bit like child abuse is a common problem in many companies.

10% of senior management are psychopaths (according to Sunday Times)

In environments with a high contractor population the situation can be even worse as Contractors have zero rights and can be further exploited.
          I think it gets worse the more senior you get. The scum rises to the surface. My last client was a really good place to work, but some of the senior people were best avoided.

I've found as a contractor that I am treated better. They know I am willing to walk, that I am less susceptible to bulltulip, and that I have confidence in my abilities. And I've been doing critical work in areas with skills shortages. Also there is no reason to prevent me from learning since I am not a direct threat to their career progression. At least that's my experience.

Leif

Comment

Sounds exactly like the environment I'm in at the moment. Still, only until tomorrow, pastures new on Monday... 6502 Assembler, it's the future...

Comment

Yawn....................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              (whatever these are)

Comment

Don't like your fellow employees, then go here

Mind you I quite like this product:

The "Brief Safe" is an innovative diversion safe that can secure your cash, documents, and other small valuables from inquisitive eyes and thieving hands, both at home and when you're traveling. Items can be hidden right under their noses with these specially-designed briefs which contain a fly-accessed 4" x 10" secret compartment with Velcro closure and "special markings" on the lower rear portion. Leave the "Brief Safe" in plain view in your laundry basket or washing machine at home, or in your suitcase in a hotel room - even the most hardened burgler or most curious snoop will "skid" to a screeching halt as soon as they see them. (Wouldn't you?) Made in USA. One size. Color: white (and brown). To add realistic smell, check out "Doo Drops" on Page 65.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Didn't the later ones used the 6303?
                  Yup, same processor that was in the early PC keyboard.

Comment

sounds like Investment banking to me. no career progression. psychotic management / racist management.

Stupidity and ignorance at middle management levels ....

Awful treatement ....

yep .. just go with the flow.....

Comment

Working...
                    X