• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pendantic Expedia - warning when booking the Expedia special rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pendantic Expedia - warning when booking the Expedia special rate

Wife has to fly abroad to bring back her mother who wants to cut short her holiday at late notice - she is staying with relatives but is not very well. So she books a flight+hotel deal on Expedia. It then turns out that her mother doesn't want to stay with the relatives either so would want to stay in the hotel too.

The hotel has double/twin room, can easily sleep 2. Bloody Expedia are saying the special rate cannot even be upgraded without cancelling the whole booking flights and all and getting zero refund on it.

OK I can understand Expedia saying there is only a flight for one person so only 1 person can stay in the room, but they are turning down extra revenue by refusing to upgrade the room to a higher rate or one allowing 2 people to stay. They won't even let her upgrade to a higher rate which includes breakfast or a bigger room.

Their answer was book another room - at another £139 per night.

Bollocks to that - must be a limitation in their booking systems - looks like my wife will have to sweet talk the hotel or bribe them when she gets there.

I'll tell wife to be more wary next time she sees a web-site 'special' rate with flights included.

Bar stewards -that was my lunch hour gone and I had no lunch either.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

pedantic

Comment

Expedia are ok for straight forward travel but a single deviation from the bog standard or hiccup with the arrangements and you are up the creek without a paddle

Had a issue with car rental in the US last year, they had put down the wrong driver (me, with no drivers licence because I was paying for the rental, instead of named driver I supplied), car rental company were willing to change it at no cost but they needed the request to come from Expedia, 3 international calls customer services (Expedia US will not help Expedia UK customers), 45 mins in the queue before I gave up each time, until I eventually just decided jack it in and rent another car

When I tried to get a refund they told me to forget it, because I did not contact their uncontactable customer service beforehand

Comment

We asked them to move our return flight forward a day and they simply refused even though we were not that bothered about losing the unused hotel night. The carrier had said that it would be no problems to do as long as expedia just informed them.

Total ***** of the highest order and would never use them again.

Comment

Looks like I started the Expedia bashing thread

I wonder if anyone else is any better, anyone with had better experiences with Expedia, Travelocity, Opodo etc?

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            looks like my wife will have to sweet talk the hotel or bribe them when she gets there.
            I can see nothing wrong with that. The hotel won't mind. "Hello, can I stay with mother if I pay you the difference between single and double?". They won't say no! (Why tell them at all?)
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              I can see nothing wrong with that. The hotel won't mind. "Hello, can I stay with mother if I pay you the difference between single and double?". They won't say no! (Why tell them at all?)
              Silly girl already called the hotel and asked - they said 'this is an expedia special rate we cannot do anything' - which is why I think a bribe is necessary.

Comment

Working...
              X