• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent - Employer relationship question.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent - Employer relationship question.

I should really post this in Business, I suppose, but will probably get a better response here.
    Here's the scenario: A pimp put forward a potential employee (permie) last year who I interviewed and offered a job which she accepted.
    Then she changed her mind, citing the fact that her current employer had made her an offer she couldn't refuse to stay.
    Now over a year later, she's come back and said she thinks she made a mistake and would like to work for me after all.

Question: Do I still have an obligation to the pimp to pay them their cut as they did the introduction over a year ago?
    Last edited by sasguru; 19 August 2009, 13:12.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

no
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

rtfc
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        no
        Expand?

Morally I guess I have to. And practically if they find out they could probably sue me.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          rtfc
          It was a year ago
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Morally, maybe. But WGAS about morals these days?

Legally, what do your engagement terms with the agency say? I doubt very much they have any hold over you a year after the fact...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Hmmm I guess I need to somehow get the contract from a year ago ...
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

That happened to me once. Actually they decided they did not want me then realised they had made a mistake. Agent never got a thing and the gap was 6 months, the agent found out later and never did a thing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Hmmm I guess I need to somehow get the contract from a year ago ...
                  Just feed the agency a fake job. Et voila, T&Cs in your inbox in a jiffy.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Just feed the agency a fake job. Et Voila, T&Cs in your inbox in a jiffy.
                    nah wouldn't do that. I do have some morals.
                    May pay them anyway, no skin off my back, and everyone needs to live.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X