• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paypal issues. Dodgy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paypal issues. Dodgy?

I got something on Ebay the other day and to cut a long story short the buyer has asked to make the transaction outwith paypal and just wondered what people think, here is the full story...

I place the bid at 2.00 pm.
    At 4:00 pm I get a mail from paypal.fr saying that my account might have been accessed by a third party so the account has been limited.
    As it is from paypal.fr who I have never had dealings with I ignore it as spam
    I win the product and pay over paypal.
    I get a confirmed payment email then a second email from paypal.co.uk saying that my account has been limited.
    Guy mails me to say that the payment has been returned and his paypal account has been limited as well.
    Guy asks me to pay into his bank account as it might take 2 weeks to unlock his account.

Now I do really want the product and it was a pretty decent price, the guy has had his account for 6 years and has been buying and selling similar stuff to what I have bought.

So, is this a known scam? Would you go through with it?

I take it if I pay into his account and he does not deliver then I have pretty much lost the money?

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I take it if I pay into his account and he does not deliver then I have pretty much lost the money?
    Yes, plus you have a period of time to pay up and so contact paypal and ask WTF is going on
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

depends on how much is money is involved, what's the amount?

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
        depends on how much is money is involved, what's the amount?
        190 squiggles.

Comment

I got something on Ebay the other day and to cut a long story short the buyer has asked to make the transaction outwith paypal and just wondered what people think, here is the full story...

I place the bid at 2.00 pm.
          At 4:00 pm I get a mail from paypal.fr saying that my account might have been accessed by a third party so the account has been limited.
          I win the product and pay over paypal.
          I get a confirmed payment email then a second email from paypal.co.uk saying that my account has been limited.
          Guy mails me to say that the payment has been returned and his paypal account has been limited as well.
          Guy asks me to pay into his bank account as it might take 2 weeks to unlock his account.

Now I do really want the product and it was a pretty decent price, the guy has had his account for 6 years and has been buying and selling similar stuff to what I have bought.

So, is this a known scam? Would you go through with it?

When I have had stuff before that I have been unsure of - I have forwarded the email to paypal to check. One rule of thumb is that paypal ALWAYS address you by your name - so I always get "Dear Ms Cailin Maith" - anything you get that doesn't address you by your name I'd guess is bollocks.
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

190 squiggles.
            Only an hour's work then. I would just pay up.

Comment

190 squiggles.
              Oh god - come on!!!!

Ask the guy to post you the item, and on receipt you'll pay direct into his bank.

When he laughs and says "no way!" say, well that's your answer from me too then!

Email paypal and see what's going on!
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

I also got a mail from paypal.fr, I don't have a paypal account

I am sure paypal have a process in place to fix this issue.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Outwith?
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    Outwith?
                    Perhaps he's a foreign sort?

Comment

Working...
                    X