• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie surrealism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie surrealism

Here's a transcript of a real life conversation I had with a permie development team lead this afternoon;

Permie Team Lead; 'Hey Mich, I see that your test team haven't raised a lot of issues about the interfaces we developed'

Mich the Tester; 'That's right, but the 7 issues they've raised are test blocking issues, meaning that the rest of the functionality on a particular interface can't be tested because the issue prevents the interface from working at all'

PTL; 'I'm surprised because I expected much more issues'

MTT; 'how many issues did you expect?'

PTL; 'well about 250 or so, but don't take it as a personal attack'

MTT; 'I won't, but on what do you base that number?'

PTL; 'our development strategy'

MTT; 'what do you mean?'

PTL; 'well we built the interfaces in a hurry'

MTT; 'let me turn the question around, but don't take it personally; if you expected 250 issues, why did you deliver the software?'

PTL; 'because the board of directors gave me an unrealistic deadline'

MTT; 'and you didn't tell them their deadline was unrealistic?'

PTL; 'I did, but the problem is I need to prove that to them now and I need many more issues to prove that I was right about the deadline!'

MTT; 'are you suggesting that this is MY problem?'

PTL; 'not as such no'

MTT; 'good, then we agree that this is not my problem'

PTL; 'erm, yes' (walks off in a huff muttering 'bloody overpaid contractors etc'

Now then, sometimes I have moments of self doubt and start to think I'm the mad one. But then I snap back into a quasi rational mode and think that permies live in some off-parallel universe where the laws of nature are just a bit skewed, rather like a painting by Dali or Matisse.

Are they really all this mad?
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 19 August 2009, 21:09.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Does he sign your timesheets?
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      no
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I can see where the PTL is coming from. But why they got in a huff I cannot imagine. You're doing them a favour.

I suspect the huff was because you are unable to access the other 240+ errors yet.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          no
          smile and think of the money
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            I can see where the PTL is coming from. But why they got in a huff I cannot imagine. You're doing them a favour.

I suspect the huff was because you are unable to access the other 240+ errors yet.
            If the directors are too thick to accept the estimates of the people they pay to develop the interfaces, they are going to be too thick to grasp that blocking issues are as bad as it gets. Only 7 errors - great - we were expecting 250.

Had that stupid f-ing conversation. Utterly pointless
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

250 you say? you can do a lot of invoicing retesting all of them, good times

Comment

If you find 250 errors, you'll upset some of the developers plus the CIO. If you stick with 7, you upset the technical architect. I'd stick with 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  PTL; 'because the board of directors gave me an unrealistic deadline'

MTT; 'and you didn't tell them their deadline was unrealistic?'

PTL; 'I did, but the problem is I need to prove that to them now and I need many more issues to prove that I was right about the deadline!'
                  Response at this point should have been:
                  'Unfortunatly you did such a bad/great job we cannot access your other 243 errors because the first 7 are so big'

Comment

"Forget the number 7. The software is so broken we can't get far enough to test anything."

I'm not sure what the permie did wrong. He told the higher-up people the deadline was unrealistic and now wants to give them the kind of evidence he thinks they'll understand - a big number of errors.
                    The whole "Well, as long as it's not my problem I don't give a crap" response puts Mich in the wrong unless I missed something.
                    Last edited by d000hg; 19 August 2009, 23:08.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X