• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear (Scientific)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear (Scientific)

Well I know the "Oh dear" posts are supposed to be about house price crashes, crumbling infrastructures etc etc, however it recently came to my attention that the earth is slowing down. Every year the earth rotates a bit more slowly.

...hmmm

Anybody any ideas how we can speed it up...

By stopping the slowing we would save on having to buy new clocks every 350,000 years.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates
    Well I know the "Oh dear" posts are supposed to be about house price crashes, crumbling infrastructures etc etc, however it recently came to my attention that the earth is slowing down. Every year the earth rotates a bit more slowly.

...hmmm

Anybody any ideas how we can speed it up...

By stopping the slowing we would save on having to buy new clocks every 350,000 years.
    If we were all to face the same way and push with our feet in the normal rotation of the earth then it would speed up wouldnt it? You know like when you see those little dogs walking on balls at the circus!
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
      If we were all to face the same way and push with our feet in the normal rotation of the earth then it would speed up wouldnt it? You know like when you see those little dogs walking on balls at the circus!
      Yes. All run a mile west at the same time. That should do it.

We'd have to stay there though, or we would slow it down again by walking back.

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
        Yes. All run a mile west at the same time. That should do it.

We'd have to stay there though, or we would slow it down again by walking back.
        Or keep walking all the way round.

Comment

Originally posted by luke warm
          Or keep walking all the way round.
          Wouldn't that speed it up too much? I wouldn't want to go flying off into space.

Comment

... to be quite frank I think some of the suggestions are just plain silly.

I think attaching rockets to the trees in the equatorial rain forests, is the way to solve this.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Hows about everyones home have just one roof, sloping east west, then when it rains each house will become a little paddle on an earth sized water wheel: everytime it rains the rain will drive the earth around.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Personaly I blame all the wind farms for slowing it down in the first place.

I like threadeds idea and it would be so pretty.

We would not have to stay ther if we tip toed back surely?
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

What about dragging a very attractive female whale accross the atlantic. Surely the effect of male whales, chasing the female will push the earth round a bit faster.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 10 November 2005, 11:16.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                    Hows about everyones home have just one roof, sloping east west, then when it rains each house will become a little paddle on an earth sized water wheel: everytime it rains the rain will drive the earth around.
                    I _think_ getting the moon to rotate faster and/or spiral in towards Earth would increase the latter's rotation speed (not 100% sure though I must admit).

In any case we wouldn't want to overdo it and end up as things were shortly after the moon's formation, with a 10 hour day and the moon looming overhead occupying 1/3 of the visible sky - With a four hour working day, you'd spend half the time commuting, and would be permanently knackered from only a few hours sleep each night. Also, thousand foot tides and practically non-stop earthquakes might be a problem for some.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X