• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Attention all space cadets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention all space cadets

Anyone recommend a decent telescope? I have an urge to do a bit of amateur stargazing. Just wondering what you get for you money. I mean supposing I want to see the rings around Saturn (I was tempted...) are we talking about a couple of hundred quid, a few grand or the entire budget of NASA? Have tried googling this but it's all very technical for somebody who know very little about the subject.

Never bought one but I've toyed with the idea a few times.

The advice I had was don't bother, join a club that has a big feck off one already.

If you must have your own get the biggest motorised reflector you can afford, I could only just make out Saturns rings my mates six incher that cost about £400.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      The advice I had was don't bother, join a club that has a big flip off one already.
      That's not bad advice actually. I've got a mate whose folks live in Selsey Bill & Patrick Moore is a neighbour of theirs. He has a huge f off one in his garden.

I guess I want to see things fairly clearly, not just some blurred spheroid shape which if you look at hard enough you can kid yourself you can see the rings around it.

Comment

Unless you live in an area with little or no light pollution, you are better off joining a club which has access to such a spot, and the gear to go with it. Part of the fun is learning from others who have been doing it for years.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          Unless you live in an area with little or no light pollution, you are better off joining a club which has access to such a spot, and the gear to go with it. Part of the fun is learning from others who have been doing it for years.
          Depends if the club has any decent totty to liven things up - is 'Astronomy' likely to be a pastime for the female gender?

If not the clubs may be full of cardigan clad anoraks and best avoided for solitude in a shed at the bottom of the garden with your pot noodle & curtain for company

Good stuff on scope buying
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Depends if the club has any decent totty to liven things up - is 'Astronomy' likely to be a pastime for the female gender?
            A friend of mine found his now wife on a solar eclipse trip overseas a few years ago.

So it does happen.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Good link. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                So it's a bit like dogging then?
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  So it's a bit like dogging then?
                  Haven't you ever been up White Sheet Hill?

Comment

Got a crappy 6" reflector but fun in the winter as an alternative to a BBQ. Gluhwein and nibbles and lots of oohs and ahs at the Moon, Jupiter's moons, Saturn's rings etc.

Ever seen a satellite in daylight? Google Iridium flares.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X